Vaccum M/C. Where to buy NEW?

SPOT MY 6

Stock crawlin National...
I have been chasing some brake problems as you can read in this post.

I am going to buy a NEW, not rebuilt, m/c and give it a try. I know the local pep boys has m/c's, but are they any good? This is the LAST m/c I will ever buy in my life for this mess of a brake system on my car.

Red Regal T,
You posted a reply in one of my previous posts:

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Most 80s G bodies have the same master cylinder. Aluminum body with plastic reservoir. On some earlier 80s G bodies, I've noticed a smaller reservoir. If you have that one, I'd chuck it. I recently changed from the correct G-body master cylinder to a full size GM (rear drive caddies, electras, impalas etc.) master cylinder and noticed an improvement in braking. It can be identified by an even larger reservoir. It has a larger piston. It's a bolt-on. I'd recommend you do that.
Can you tell me what year/make/model you used? When I but the m/c I want to get the one you mentioned.

Thanks.

Don't know about poop boys, but call around and ask specifically for a "new", not rebuilt master cylinder (if you haven't already). If they say they can't get them - then you're probably dealing with someone who is "career challenged". Raybestos Part #MC39376 is a new cylinder. I would hope that pretty much any local parts store who deals with your local professional garages could help you. You're gonna be shocked at the price difference though. Like $20 to $150 or better rebuilt to new:D. Oh, that part # is for a non turbo G body. Part #MC39328 fits late '80s Caprice/Lesabre etc. HTH

I just realized that my brakes were pretty bad. Ok for running around town. Didn't notice I had a problem. Then, a couple Sundays ago, I lined up against a twin turbo Porsche. Light ahead went RED! :eek:.......and I literally had to stand on my brake pedal to stop. Just about did. My brakes were smoking so bad I had to open my windows.

I had to replace my rear drums because the shoes I was using must have crystallized and wore right into the drum on one side. I purchased organic brake shoes......$27 new. Helped quite a bit. Then I bought the Performance Z rated front pads from Auto Zone for $40. Now, my car pulls down pretty hard from high speed. I just ordered braided brake hoses from Jegs for icing on the cake.

A new master cylinder can be purchased at any parts store. It would be the MC for an 83 thru 87 G body. It has an aluminum body and plastic reservoir. I really don't think you'll make any improvement over rebuilt or a good used unit.