You can type here any text you want

Vacuum brakes conversion....dude be carefull!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

quadzila

I had a scary experience with my recently installed vacuum brakes. i just got done with a full boost blast 23# down a 2 lane highway (80-90 or so) and no brakes !!!! i blew through a green light thank god and finally got it stopped . opened the hood and at the vacuum filter the hose blew off. being under boost the manifold is pressurized 23# and the check valve is on the booster, so from the T to the booster its under pressure without hose clamps. I installed hose clamps at every connection. Im also thinking of also installing a one way vacuum valve at the vacuum source, a little extra insurance....Has anybody else had this happen??

Glad nothing happen buddy, Nothing like this happened to me but I clamped every hose i could and replaced it also with slicone hose(mr gasket kit)

I hope you brought a change of underwear with you. Yep, clamp those lines down because this is no normally aspirated Chevy Silverado you are driving.

Hey 1quick6

terlingua racing?

you know Leann Williams?

I just gave her some wheels for her car for Sema show.

emergency brakes?

ive had the brakes go out on me in a 68' camaro and a 74' bronco. ran the camaro into a bush, and the bronco's wheels against a curb to get them to stop. lol

scary feeling for sure. will definitely be securing the vacuum brake hoses now. thanks for the heads up.

The beauty in this is "You were still able to stop with vacuum brakes"!!! That wouldn't have been possible with PM brakes!!!

If you weren't going so fast you would have been able to stop even sooner but you were able to stop! Reason alone to swich to vacuum brakes!!

Glad you didn't hurt anything or crash..

SW.

i had this happen to me A LONG TIME AGO in the G-Body
1-zip tie or clamp all hoses
2-All ways have a check valve -at least at the booster
3-often over looked Make sure that the boost doesn't leak (Holds Vacuum) and that the grommet and check valve don't leak either.
Good luck

Another thing to check is the 90 degree plastic piece that slips into the booster. Had one of these break on me once and took all of my leg strength to bring a full size Delta 88 to a stop.

i try to carry a spare check valve at the booster bc it has broken after a 20 psi pull before , looking for a proper sized iline check valve to add incase anyone has any part number , do share

i try to carry a spare check valve at the booster bc it has broken after a 20 psi pull before , looking for a proper sized iline check valve to add incase anyone has any part number , do share

But them once replace all of them in your system, inexpensive and they have the Viton diaphrams, way better than anything from the factory. I have one installed on the vac line to the booster and other places as needed:

Check Valves | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Back