You can type here any text you want

Vacuum pump setup?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1QWIK6

Torque wins
Anyone here run a engine vacuum pump set up? Does it work for you? Is it streetable (short term)? Anyone have a setup using the factory serp. belt?

Thanks
Curt

I've been looking at doing it, but havent done it yet.
I think it's the way to go!
Keep oil out of your intake and get all the blowby and vapors out.

I was thinking of using a 96 LT1 electric air pump, but I found out it pulls a max of 1 psi. That may not be enough considering what the vacuum pumps designed for racing do. I dunno.

I have used the lt1 smog pump reversed the plumbling, i use a hob switch comes on at 2 lbs boost , pulls 20 ounces of mercury, it is 4 years old never had any trouble with it, and a lot of other buick turbo racers use it, i first saw one on dave poppys car about 6 years ago, :rolleyes:

I've got an electric one off a Volvo laying around.
I'm going to put a gauge on it and see what it will do

Odell, I have the same pump I believe. Leo put me on this one after we went to the boneyard when I was up their last time. Came off a 90's Caprice Police car i believe. Dwayne aka Big Daddy is supposed to be sending me the breathers and grommets to put it on. Soon as I get that I can bolt this thing back together and take it to the dyno to tune it....Apparently you have to remove some type of internal check valve to get the pump to flow more air.....Hope Dwayne includes idiot proof directions : )

VAC valve??

In looking at the aftermkt systems, I see they have a relief valve in the sytem.
There are no breathers in the covers, only a relief valve, and the hose to the pump. The outlet from the pump would then go to a puke tank w/ a breather and a drain.
I see the relief valve as a necessity, in order to prevent a vac draw high enough to turn the ft cover seal inside out.

I have, in the past, seen a situation wherein the breather gromments were not cut open when the breathers were installed and the PVC pulled enuf vac to cause the above and also pull a tin ft cover on a SBC into the timing chain!!..:eek: :eek:

I think the relief valves are adjustable so U can set the vac limit you need.

Back