Valley pan

86Nick

Not your Grandpas' regal
Getting ready to install a new intake and seen that there are different types of gasket kits available. Some have valley pans and some don't. Do you have to use a valley pan? Or can you do just gaskets?

You can just do gaskets. However the valley pan keeps the hot oil off the bottom of the intake. It is also easier to instal than just gaskets would be.

The valley pan style intake gaskets keep the oil from splashing the bottom of the intake and having the PCV valve suck up the oil and burn it.

I think the most common gasket is a felpro MS96003. If I remember correctly.

The valley pan style intake gaskets keep the oil from splashing the bottom of the intake and having the PCV valve suck up the oil and burn it.

I would use a valley pan if possible. It won't keep the PCV from sucking oil but it will slow it down. Moving the PCV to the right valve cover usually gets rid of the oil problem.

Nick, the gasket I used with that intake was just an off the shelf Fel Pro valley pan gasket.

It wasn't the steel shim style, but more of a permatorque blue style. (If that makes any sense) ;)

Part number is 96033 :cool:

This is what I used with that intake Nick:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-MS96033/

fel-ms96033_w.jpg

My new motor didn't have the valley pan gasket. When I would go out for a half an hour drive (no boost), it would fill my catch can 3/4 full of oil, even with a check valve. I switched to the Fel Pro MS96033 and no problems.

I ran Fel Pro 1200 intake gaskets with a separate valley pan from Automotive Machine Performance. Home It worked very well keeping the oil off the bottom of my intake and out of my pcv system.

James