Valve Cover Gaskets - Does anyone's fit?

Kibster

Hard to believe something as simple as valve cover gaskets can take days to find!

I first ordered a set from Summit - that ended up having no bolt holes in them! I had to make two seperate phone calls to their tech support line - over 30 minutes total trying to explain why these wouldn't fit on my 87 GN's stock valve covers.

Then off to AutoZone for a set of rubber Felpro's - whose holes didn't line up once the tabs were in place without some stretching (that oblonged the wholes) - plus would need some surgery on the insides.

Then off to NAPA, then Parts America...none of the cork or rubber gaskets would fit (without trimming and/or stretching)

Does anyone, besides GM, make a valve cover gasket that fit's the stock GN valve cover without an exacto knife? I looked at Felpros and Victors.

I know I replaced these several years ago without incident when I changed valve springs.

I'd prefer a steel shimmed rubber gaskets.

Unfortunately, no one makes a steel shimmed rubber or neoprene gasket for the Buicks. My personal favorite style was the ones Ford used on the later model 302 engines. They fit great, didnt leak and were reusuable. Only choices in Fel Pro are rubber and cork.

felpros

The rubber felpros will work. When i put mine on the first time i didnt think they would work but i had them on upside down:redface:

I once bought a set of Felpro valve cover gaskets from Pep Boys that were steel shim with a silicone bead. As I recall they were twice the price of a standard cork or rubber gaskets but could be reused with a good fit. They seemed to seal well.
Jeff

The Fel Pro blue silicone/rubber ones go on a specific way. They have tabs on the inside corner telling which way to install them. Don't loose those little black tabs/spacers.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Most of the aftermarket gaskets are designed for the stamped sheetmetal valve covers used by the garden variety buick since the 1960's. The cast aluminum covers used on the turbo motors are similar and most aftermarket gaskets will work with a little trimming.

I recommend these,
Fel-Pro PermaDry VS 50156T valve cover gaskets.
I just picked up a set at Napa last week. Think I paid $31.99 + tax for them. Going on stock heads with GN1 valve covers. My buddy Don runs them on his GN-1s with GN-1 valve covers.

Here is a blurb about them.

Fel-Pro's PermaDry Plus valve cover gaskets feature precision edge-molded silicone rubber, which resists high heat and delivers reliable sealing on irregular surfaces. This silicone rubber is wrapped around a rigid carrier that adds strength to the gasket, to resist being sucked in under high vacuum or blown out when under pressure. At the same time, it also prevents over-tightening of the mounting bolts.

Here are two old threads from the past talking about them.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/101528-new-valve-cover-gaskets.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/181392-search-v-c-gaskets.html

HTH

Patrick

Felpro 50156 either T, C, or R
T= steel shim with silicone
C= cork
R= rubber

If the holes do not line up, flip them over. They all work fine.

I never had any luck with the steel shim gaskets on stock heads. The valve covers and the head lips are not machined and do not provide a smooth enought surface to seal. On GN1's they will work but that has a machined surface. I use the standard cork. Clean the covers, wipe them with lquer thinner and lint free wipes. use a thin bead of the right stuff. install gasket wait about 30 to 45 mintes. use a small thin bead on the top of the heads. Install cover finger tight. Wait a few hours and loosely tighten. Wait until the next day and tighten to torque specs. Should not leak then.

use the Felpro cork gaskets. I have put these on every brand of v.c. You have to glue them on with something like 3m weather strip adhesive. Then the
gaskets can be used many times over.

use the Felpro cork gaskets. I have put these on every brand of v.c. You have to glue them on with something like 3m weather strip adhesive. Then the
gaskets can be used many times over.

ditto fel 50156 cork
they fit ,the tabs are a little large but they are made that way so when you press them in the slot they stay , there is a top(thinner at the curve ) and a bottom to the gasket, left right doesnt matter as its the same.
spray 3m adhesive on the gasket and the cover (clean off the oil first) wait a minute for glue to set up and then stick the gasket on
and dont go overboard on the tightening 5 lb/ft is more than enough
ive never had one fall off during intsall and have pulled covers many times times without having to replace the gaskets

What I have done is used the cork gaskets and used heads with the valve cover rail milled flat. Never had one leak with the rail milled flat. The rubber ones dont last too long because of the heat. Within a year they start getting hard and loose their sealing ability.