Valve Cover Label

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
Here is the continuation of the Valve Cover Label discussion that originally came up in the April 13th and 20th Kirban's InnerCircle emails. As noted in the April 27th InnerCircle, I sent a lot of information and pics to Dennis. Since all of that information could not be combined into one InnerCircle article, I decided that the best place to share this information was to post it here, for anyone to read at will.

I will attach pics of '85 - '87 valve cover labels from NOS engines sent from GM's Flint, MI engine assembly plant to the turbo Buick engine development program. I will add a description of the specifics of that label and the corresponding engine.

It is interesting to note the similarities among the years. While I do not know the exacting details of every number or letter on this label, the similarities over the different years will explain a lot.

I do not have a pic of the valve cover label for the '84 production year.

The following picture is the valve cover sticker on a NOS ’85 regular production option (RPO) code LM9 crate engine. This engine was made 15 Mar 1985. The flexplate/flywheel sticker is dated 28 Feb 1985 and lists the GM engine assembly code “NDA.” This engine has a small aluminum tag affixed under one of the waterpump bolts and is stamped “5NDA-010.” This example was the 10th LM9 engine sent from GM’s engine assembly facility in Flint, MI to the Buick turbo engine development program. Although it was partially uncrated, this engine was never used by the program. Its only operation was GM’s hot testing – running the engine on propane (so as not to contaminate the fuel system) to verify its operational performance prior to shipping. Its twin, “5NDA-009” remains unused and in its original full crate.

Attachments

• P1010261.jpg
    P1010261.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 223
Valve cover label - '86 production year

The following picture is the valve cover sticker on a NOS ’86 RPO code LC2 crate engine. The date of manufacture for this engine not known since the hang tag listing that date is no longer attached to the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. The flexplate/flywheel sticker is dated 7 Nov 1985 and lists the GM engine assembly code “FCA.” This engine has a small aluminum tag affixed under one of the valvecover studs and is stamped “6FCA-048.” This example was the 48th ’86 LC2 engine sent from GM’s engine assembly facility in Flint, MI to the Buick turbo engine development program. Although it was partially uncrated, this engine was never used by the program. Its only operation was GM’s hot testing – running the engine on propane (so as not to contaminate the fuel system) to verify its operational performance prior to shipping. This engine is complete with all accessories, radiator hoses and intercooler assembly. It was invoiced from BOC Flint Plant 78, 902 E. Hamilton Ave, Flint, MI 48502 to the Buick turbo engine development program for piston development on 23 Sep 1986. The carrier’s bill of lading is dated 29 Sep 1986.

Attachments

• P1010269.jpg
    P1010269.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 217
Valve cove label - '87 regular production

The following picture is a NOS ’87 regular production option (RPO) code LC2 crate engine. This engine was made 3 Oct 1986. The sticker on the cylinder head is dated 3 Oct 1986 and lists the GM engine assembly code “NLA.” This engine has a small aluminum tag affixed under one of the waterpump bolts and is stamped “7NLA-003.” This example was the 3rd ‘87 LC2 engine sent from GM’s engine assembly facility in Flint, MI to the Buick turbo engine development program. Although it was partially uncrated, this engine was never used by the program. Its only operation was GM’s hot testing – running the engine on propane (so as not to contaminate the fuel system) to verify its operational performance prior to shipping. This engine went to Richard Clark for his collection. I did not take a picture of the valve cover sticker before sending this engine to Richard. Crate engine “5NDA-009” is at right edge of picture.

Attachments

• 87LC2_NOS1.jpg
    87LC2_NOS1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 229
The following picture is the valve cover sticker on a ’87 RPO code LC2 engine. The engine is removed for service from a ’87 GN. This GN was built in June 1987 during the ’87 model year’s regular production schedule. It is interesting to note that while the GM engine assembly code for a ’87 LC2 is “NLA,” the valve cover tag engine assembly code is “NLB.”

Attachments

• P1000340.jpg
    P1000340.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 226
valve cover label - '87 extended production

The following picture is the valve cover sticker from my ’87 GN. The engine build date from the coilpak sticker is 4 Sep 1987 and the car assembly date was 11 Sep 1987 – part of the extended production run of ’87 turbo Buicks. Again, it is interesting to note that while the GM engine assembly code for a ’87 LC2 is “NLA,” the valve cover tag engine assembly code is “NLB.”

Attachments

• P1010267.jpg
    P1010267.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 213
Valve cover label - extended production InnerCircle

The following picture is the valve cover sticker on a ’87 RPO code LC2 engine. This picture was from Kirban Performance Products InnerCircle dated 13 Apr 2011 discussing the valve cover sticker. I would believe that this valve cover came from an engine that was part of the extended production run; the sequence # of 0097916 is greater than mine (0091861) and my engine was made 4 Sep 1987. Also, it appears that the extended production run of engines for turbo Regals built from August 1987 to December 1987 have the top line of data on the sticker highlighted in light blue. The regular production LC2 engines from ’86 (FCA assembly code) and ’87 (NLA assembly code) all have a sticker with a white background.

Attachments

• ValveCoverLabel1.jpg
    ValveCoverLabel1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 195
Valve Cover Label - concluding thoughts

What does the data on the label mean?

It is interesting to note that the top line always begins with a “6”, no matter if it is an ’85, ’86, ’87 regular production, or ’87 extended production. Also, the bottom row always begins with “10” followed by the GM engine assembly code for that year. The second group of digits on the bottom line always begins with “B” – maybe that is for Buick division? The next seven numbers after the “B” may be the engine serial # (incremental engine count) for engines produced at BOC Flint engine assembly plant. Using my label as an example, “0091861” could mean that as of 4 Sep ’87, it was the 91,861 engine produced at the Flint engine plant.