Valve lash lifter noise bigger cam stock rocker arms and valves?

jasyram1408

So I am stepping into this project in the middle of it. This 87 Buick Grand National has a rebuilt engine. It has been bored over and has a hotter camshaft and a 3000 stall converter in the transmission. It has never started since it was rebuilt 5 years ago. It belongs to a Viet Nam vet who can't work on it himself any more. I only had to set the camshaft sensor to get it to start. It runs and has no codes but is making a lot of valve lash lifter noise. The valves are not adjustable. I have no specs on the cam. What if any advice does any one have to this problem. The hydraulic tappets are pumping up. It has oil pressure and everything is new. I was thinking maybe some different rockers or possibly shimming the valve rod the lifters go thru after shaving them down a little. The hump they bolt to that is. I am at a loss and I am not gonna tear down the engine just to see what cam is in it. Any help appreciated.

with non adjustable rockers you have to selct the pushrod needed , even with adjustable rockers its important to check the pushrod length needed with the adjuster in the center and order rods accordingly
with #1 at tdc (cam at base ) use a pushrod checker tool and adjust it to zero lash and then remove and extend it for preload .030" longer than zero lash length which is about 3/4 turn out of the adjuster , compare to what you have and if different than what you have measure the tool (or send the tool in with order) and get the ones you need .. for checker and pushrods give fullthrottlespeed.com a call

Last edited:
with non adjustable rockers you have to selct the pushrod needed , even with adjustable rockers its important to check the pushrod length needed with the adjuster in the center and order rods accordingly
with #1 at tdc (cam at base ) use a pushrod checker tool and adjust it to zero lash and then remove and extend it for preload .030" longer than zero lash length which is about 3/4 turn out of the adjuster , compare to what you have and if different than what you have measure the tool (or send the tool in with order) and get the ones you need .. for checker and pushrods give fullthrottlespeed.com a call