You can type here any text you want

Valve Spring Change Procedure - Critique Needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtbraun

After being a resource hog on this site for the past year I thought I would try to give something back. This is meant to be a step by step procedure for changing valve springs with the heads on. This is basic, entry level documentation for the non-mechanics in the group. I would appreciate those seasoned in this process to provide comments on the SOP. Steps, terminology, everything is open to change. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

After being a resource hog on this site for the past year I thought I would try to give something back. This is meant to be a step by step procedure for changing valve springs with the heads on. This is basic, entry level documentation for the non-mechanics in the group. I would appreciate those seasoned in this process to provide comments on the SOP. Steps, terminology, everything is open to change. Thanks in advance!

Looks pretty complete, that tool is nicer than the one I have been using, I prefer compressed air, but then again I have it. I would include a dead blow hammer and a quick tap on all valve heads after removal of the rocker shaft, this helps to unseat the keepers., Also some brake clean to spray on everything , prevents some cussing later from oil laden parts slipping out of your fingers and hiding in the frame rail.
Also a buddy to goad you on is helpful at least if he is also handing you beers and or taking your place on #6 cyl while the frustration level drops.

I would HIGHLY recommend placing something to surround the head. Pillow, blanket, rag, anything you can stuff in there to make sure that nothing falls to the ground or near the frame.. Ask me why I know this..

Heard that, I almost mentioned it, things do tend to fly off, very aggravating

Good suggestions. I was also going to suggest after replacement of all springs but before putting the spark plugs back in to unplug the ecm cable and crank the motor over a few revolutions to blow anything out of the cylinders that may have gotten in there from stuffing the rope in. Maybe not a big deal but should this be done just as a precaution?

That and maybe a monkey suit for cylinder #6. Being 6'4" and having one knee wedged in between the turbo and dp, and the other on top of the inner fender, sweating profusely, on the cusp of rage. What fun!

Great write up........however, now that you've gone to all theat effort & have got the valve springs removed and the valve guides exposed, why not install new valve / guide seals on the intake valves?
Just my 2cents.

dave

Might want to move or repost this to the "How Too's" section

From what I'm reading you did a nice job with the write up. If you can write it up and take pics for examples I'd love to see it in the how to section and I think it might be a sticky. Please consider doing it to help others.:)

Charlie - I guess I should have taken more pictures. I snapped those while I was doing mine and am actually done changing my springs. I realize now that it should probably have more pictures. Maybe someone else can take it and expand on it from where I left off.

Charlie - I guess I should have taken more pictures. I snapped those while I was doing mine and am actually done changing my springs. I realize now that it should probably have more pictures. Maybe someone else can take it and expand on it from where I left off.
Well you could always do some extra pics and just do one cylinder as an example to add to the photos. Then go ahead and post everything in the how to section. I know it's a bit of a pain but it would help out future and current owners if they decide to do it themselves at some time.:)

Its a good idea but I still may have to pass the torch on more pics. I already had buttoned everything up including valve covers in my haste to get it fired back up again. Patience is not my virtue. Maybe the "next guy" can add a few pics for clarity. Also, I could not post the original Word doc, only a PDF. I will post this to the How To's and if/when someone wants to add to it I can forward them the Word version for modification.

Back