You can type here any text you want

Valve Springs???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qws2000

I know this has been talked about a lot it seems, so sorry for this question... I have the wrong springs in my car, and I have the right springs just need them installed... Can I bring this job to a local Mechanic?? Or can I try the job myself I would say I am a novice wrench turner...

I would have a shop do it if your not experienced. Just dropping one part in the cylinder will cost you big time if you can't retrieve it.

To do the job yourself you will need custom spring removal tools to get the passenger side 4&6 springs out, and know how to measure the spring height accurately with limited access. I just did it a few weeks ago, I was glad I had machine shop experience and a great cylinder head machinist on the phone when I found the retainers and split locks I had did not let me shim to the proper installed height. In short, unless you have the tools, resources, and patience to check everything ....take it to a good shop.

Or just look up Turbo Tom on Youtube. He has a series of videos doing work on his GN and changing valve springs was an upgrade he did.

I can tell you its not a plug and play , there is a lot to checking this and that to make sure you get the right installed height spring pressure right and the correct nose pressure for your camshaft specs and head and valve specs or you will be wasting your time , I bought all the tools to do mine , installed height gauge , digital valve spring checker , plus a valve spring tool to do them on the car with a good source of air to keep the cylinders pumped up and a lot of patience on no#6 cylinder . Number 6 cylinder will make a preacher lose his religion real fast . Ask me how I know because I had to do mine two times to get them right . If the valves are not right on a Turbo Buick you will pull your hair out trying chase problems with tuning and running , ask me how I know that to . I suggest take to someone that knows Turbo Buicks and what they are doing and not your average Joe down the street .

What do you torque the rocker shaft to? I didn't see it in the write up?

The first time I did the valve springs, I modified a SBC spring tool to work for me. It didn't go too bad if I recall correctly. Here's a little tip. Go buy a couple of those magnet pens/telescoping magnets. When you are pressing down on the spring, take the magnet and grab the spring retainers. Very easy. Just take your time. If you get frustrated, take a 10 minute break, watch some TV, have a soda or beer (whatever your poison), and relax. Go back out to the garage with a clear head, and try again. People like my older brother get all stressed out trying to get something done, and give up when it gets too tough. That's the best advice I can give. Valve springs are not difficult even for a novice. You can do it.

Back