You can type here any text you want

Valve Stem Seals

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I just got off the phone with someone pretty knowledgeable about turbo buicks and I asked him the same question. He said he always has the guides machined down on the exhaust side with seals installed. He doesn't change the valve to a smooth stem, and says it's fine to leave the stock stepped valve...

Now I'm really confused.

I don't think the step goes far enough down to physically damage the seal does it (I've never looked)? If I had to guess, I was say the seal would get smoked from running dryer than usual and then the car would go back to working like original.

That's only a guess though as I would never try it. Smoking a set of exhaust guides on these cars would be a great way to lose a chitload of efficiency.

I just got off the phone with someone pretty knowledgeable about turbo buicks and I asked him the same question. He said he always has the guides machined down on the exhaust side with seals installed. He doesn't change the valve to a smooth stem, and says it's fine to leave the stock stepped valve...

Now I'm really confused.
Call him back as ask...........:) Also ask how far the guide gets cut to avoid this.

I tried using the stepped valve stems with seals once and it tore up the seals. The lift at the valve was .500. If you have a low lift cam and cut the guides way down it may work, but I would cut intake and exhaust valves the same height to clear whatever the cam lift is plus .060. Don't take a chance just to save a few bucks on the valves. It's only 6 valves at $11.00 each from NAPA. Then you can run any cam you want in the future.

I was wondering where to buy them... I'm guessing the quality is okay? I haven't seen any other vender offering them...

You can find a set of Ferrea stainless intake and exhaust valves on ebay for $212. I would rather buy at a local speed shop but they are often considerably higher in price. I have used Ferrea in the past in other applications. They have been fine. I have looked through a few of the vendors sites but have not found reasonable prices on valves. Please correct me if you have found a reasonably priced set of valves on a vendor's site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190642049622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

You can find a set of Ferrea stainless intake and exhaust valves on ebay for $212. I would rather buy at a local speed shop but they are often considerably higher in price. I have used Ferrea in the past in other applications. They have been fine. I have looked through a few of the vendors sites but have not found reasonable prices on valves. Please correct me if you have found a reasonably priced set of valves on a vendor's site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190642049622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
spend the money on the valves and seals, it will keep you from feeling like a chump every time you start the car. also make sure your machine shop sets the seals up so you can run up to .550 or so lift. jus my opinion

Thanks for the advice. Those Ferrea valves are slightly larger than stock, but I assume that can be taken care of with slightly larger valve seats? Still learning here, thanks!

The radius of the oversized valve is only .035" more than stock. Its not enough to require heroics to install. I'll allow the machinist to move the cutter outbound and get fresh meat to cut on and more metal waiting for a clener 1st angle (or is it the 3rd angle?)

Cutting the seats for the larger intake valves is easy, especially if the heads are being ported. I have used Ferrea valves and they are very good. Manley also makes comparable stainless valves for the Buick V6 and they have worked well. The production type valves can be had cheaper if you can get Jobber price, but they are not stainless. If you are getting the heads ported, I would invest in the stainless valves.

Back