You can type here any text you want

Valve train noise on cold start

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Changed the oil filter and gave it new oil (VR 20-50). The pressure is much better from idle up but the lifters are still
making noise on start up after sitting all night. Maybe they whent bad? I had the engine sitting for a couple of years. Like
8 years.

What filter did you use? What's the coldest ambient temps in your region now?

The problem with most off the shelf oil filters is flow restriction. Add high viscosity oil with colder weather and you better have a high performance filter and a good bypass or you get Phoneguys results.

Rick

hello people; I'm a fan of mobil one oil so if it was me I'd give it a shot on your next oil change. That stuff is slicker than honey.
have fun
IBBY

hello people; IMO what you use as a engine oil can effect the way the valve train behaves and could effect the sound of the it.. That's what happened to me. My cars sits for too long alot of the time and on first start with M1 I get none of that sound of oil needs to be circulated is there. I know the talk was about a valve train noise but when people started talking about oil filters my remarks jumped in my head. Also I've used fram 3680 for years but I might change to what others are using.
IBBY

WTF does that stand for??

And why all the talk of oil and filters when he obviously has a valvetrain issue.
There is an ignore button in your profile page...currently he is the only member I ignore...it works well !!

Bryan

There is an ignore button in your profile page...currently he is the only member I ignore...it works well !!

Thanks Bryan I will exercise that option.

IBBY WTF does that stand for??

I Blew By You is all I can come up with especially after a good race.

Or he may be telling us I Be Bald Y'all

It Stands for Ill be blasting you...A tag line from a childrens show ...Major Mudd from the 60's and early 70's I believe

Bryan

It Stands for Ill be blasting you...A tag line from a childrens show ...Major Mudd from the 60's and early 70's I believe

Bryan

This is the twenty first century and I'm glad it doesn't mean I'll butt blast you.

HOMO YOU DON'T ! Please say you didn't go there.

I'm getting old and don't ever remember that one [I'll be blasting you]

I never saw that show, apparently I have led a very sheltered life.

Thanks for the history lesson.

hello people; You kids are alright. Maybe not! Ignore or not to ignore? It's your choice. Have you tried M1?
IBBY

This is the twenty first century and I'm glad it doesn't mean I'll butt blast you.

HOMO YOU DON'T ! Please say you didn't go there.

I'm getting old and don't ever remember that one [I'll be blasting you]

I never saw that show, apparently I have led a very sheltered life.

Thanks for the history lesson.
LMAO......I have never seen it either...I guess I am sheltered too.

He has been on ignore for quite awhile...couldn't deal with him anymore

Bryan

hello kids; If your not from the Boston area or a kid in the 60's in the Boston area you'll never know. But who gives a -uck. You kids seem to really have a problem with me so just ignore me and be done with it. I really don't care but if you really ignored me I wouldn't be typing this would I?
IBBY

majormudd1.jpg

Need I say anything more?

I'm from West Springfield MASS.
Yes I'm a former MASSHOLE, and now I'm a happy damn yankee who would never move back to the communist common wealth of MASS.

Enjoy your corrupt gay marriage subsidy laden commonwealth.

I've tried every filter, oils, and voodoo hex trying to get rid of the cold start up clatter...nothing helps..mine has always done it so I live with it. I got stiff valve springs also...I just assume the oil drains out and it clatters. I still run mid 11's so it's not hurting anything. ;)

Back