Valvecover Paint

JonnyBoost

Turbo Junkie
i tried a search but didn't come up with anything specific. i got the valve covers off and cleaned them up, but they are still an uneven color. is it a good idea to paint them? and if so what type of paint would last and look similar to stock?

thanks,

I use hi-temp aluminum paint...light dusting...don't go too heavy...then after that sets up for a few minutes go over it with hi-temp clear...again light dusting...the heat from the engine and engine bay will cure the paint and cause the color to change to match stock color...looks as good or better than stock plus the clear coat makes it easier to keep them clean...try to find a clear that doesn't yellow...some of the cheaper paints do...

thanks, i never even thought of the clear coat...anything that will make cleaning that engine easier is a plus!

I bought a set of nice black powdercoated ones for my GN.

They have held up real good since I'm not much into cleaning. :)

Might be an option for ya. :cool:

I've done them several ways, glass bead them and then clear coat 'em and I've also used duplicolor paint and painted them, like the tiny cans you can get at wally world or any parts store......good luck

I degreased and sanded mine. Then after a good cleanup I sprayed mine with some heavy coats of black engine paint. After it dried I layed some 120 grit sandpaper on the garage floor and layed the valvecover on it and sanded the tops of all the ridges down to the exposed aluminum. Came out really clean. Black covers with aluminum fins. After the engine went through a few heat cycles, the paint turned into sort of a wrinkle finish. I dont know if these finned valve covers are standard on GN's though.

thanks for the replies,

i took the easy way out and just cleaned and sanded them down. then shot some high temp aluminum followed by a clear coat. it sure brightened those suckers up. now all i need to do is get the rest of the engine compartment as clean so they don't stick out like a sore thumb :cool:

here are some pics

Attachments

• Side by Side.jpg
    Side by Side.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 123
  • valve cover after.jpg
    valve cover after.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 120
They look good...a few heat cycles should tone them down a bit and darken the color...