You can type here any text you want

very strange turbo 6

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
That might be something worth trying on a Fiero. Look like there would be room for it.

I'm sure if you do some looking you could find one of the old 89-91 Pontiac Grand Prixs with the FACTORY intercooled turbo 3.1 V-6. I still see them out there. Of course this would be a FWD set up so a little fabrication would be required for a RWD application.

It seems in 1989 Pontiac was the Turbocharged division of GM.You could get a turbo in these models.
Turbo Trans Am. 3.8
Grand Am. 2.0 hot air 4 cyl
Sunbird. 2.0 hot air 4
Grand Prix . 3.1 IC V-6

Bird of Prey said:
just wanna see 16,5 psi in a 2,8 V6

around 250 hp, but only for 20 seconds lol!

My dad's '87 Fiero GT has been running a Miller Woods Turbo on the stock 2.8 for nearly 15 years @ 12 lbs of boost ;) And no it doesn't have an intercooler but runs quite good. Definitely needs to be updated with some new technology...IC, BOV, etc.
Look Here...

There's only a few guys on thirdgen.org running a turbo on their 2.8's (LB8)and 3.1's (LHO). Most hardcore V6 guys either own a TTA, or if they're really nuts, they go swap in a 3400 or a 3800 from the forth gen F-bodies. A few of the turbo guys hand-made their setup, using whatever stuff they could scrounge. Not sure what they run in terms of boost or times, but it's an improvement. Not htat that says much, my own experiences with the LB8 didn't do to much for me. At least the thing has fuel-injection...

Don't forget the Firefly, it was a turbo-charged three-cylinder, if I recall correctly, not sure what years it was made, and I think it was only available in Canada or something. Looks like a Geo Metro.

pvt num 11 said:
Don't forget the Firefly, it was a turbo-charged three-cylinder, if I recall correctly, not sure what years it was made, and I think it was only available in Canada or something. Looks like a Geo Metro.

Yeah I forget that one. You couldn't buy the Firefly in the states. You could get that 1.0 IC 3 cylinder in the Chevy Sprint in 87-88. When the bodies changed in 89 they dropped the turbo motor as an option. From what I understand you could still get it in Canada. I dont know if they still called them Fireflies but I have seen a couple Metro GSI's here in the states. For some reason the snowbirds and other resident aliens like to bring non-US cars down here to FLA and leave them here. Parts are damn near impossible to get. You almost have to have a connection with some one in Canada or Puerto Rico.

Maybe a killer set up, if your stuck with the 2.8/3.1/3.4, might be using one of the new 3.9 V-6's. GM has ditched the 3.4 and replaced it with the 3.5/3.9. I'm not familiar with them yet but I'm thinking "theres no replacement for displacement". They have the same external dimensions as the 2.8.

turbofish38 said:
Yeah I forget that one. You couldn't buy the Firefly in the states. You could get that 1.0 IC 3 cylinder in the Chevy Sprint in 87-88. When the bodies changed in 89 they dropped the turbo motor as an option. From what I understand you could still get it in Canada. I dont know if they still called them Fireflies but I have seen a couple Metro GSI's here in the states. For some reason the snowbirds and other resident aliens like to bring non-US cars down here to FLA and leave them here. Parts are damn near impossible to get. You almost have to have a connection with some one in Canada or Puerto Rico.

Metro speed parts are out there. Believe it or not, one holds a land speed record - and it's a 3 cyl, not the GTI.

Suzuki Swifts for the most part but there was also a Holden model in Au. There are a few 300hp turbo GTI's but few and far between. Anthing over 200 is pretty darn good.

Swift/Metro people have as much interest in modifying the cars for MPG as they do speed, two different crowds though.

Back