You can type here any text you want

VIN 7 Engine Guru (or at least reputable) in Colorado?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Terbro

Has Member
I just picked up an '87 Turbo Regal with a loud clacking sound in the motor zone (or possibly just a loose TC or flexplate). If it's determined by my local mechanic (very experienced in general, but no TR motor experience) to be internal, I may opt to send the motor to one with good VIN 7 motor experience. I'm near Colorado Springs in CO, and would prefer to find one in the state or within a few hours travel distance. Anyone know of any reputable TR motor rebuilders in CO or neighboring states?

Here's a short vid I took this morning of the sound:

I'm in Pueblo.your best bet would be pull the oil pan to get a look at the lower end.or hit member 5280gn he is quite knowledgeable.

That engine sounds like a GN that was just brought in last week from Thornton, CO which will be getting a complete rebuild, and we installed a fresh engine in another GN from Denver a few months ago!

No need to have your local mechanic determine if it is internal....It needs a rebuild. Give Nick a buzz and see what he can do for you...

Bryan

Nick - here is the thread that gives the history of the car as the seller told me: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/looking-for-previous-owner-87-turbo-t.421199/

The seller also told me that the guy he got it from had some kind of student (from an auto shop class?) install it. I forget if he said if the guy was in high school or college. Regardless, it wasn't even finished. I see several pigtail connectors not connected, including the 02 sensor (see pics). The alternator bolt is loose, and it's missing at least one valve cover bolt. It appears the previous owner (who traded to the guy I bought it from) abandoned the project as soon as he heard the noise. It's got a new radiator, but it's significantly smaller than stock.

Attachments

• t-1.jpg
    t-1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 190
  • t-13.jpg
    t-13.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 167
I just picked up an '87 Turbo Regal with a loud clacking sound in the motor zone (or possibly just a loose TC or flexplate). If it's determined by my local mechanic (very experienced in general, but no TR motor experience) to be internal, I may opt to send the motor to one with good VIN 7 motor experience. I'm near Colorado Springs in CO, and would prefer to find one in the state or within a few hours travel distance. Anyone know of any reputable TR motor rebuilders in CO or neighboring states?

Here's a short vid I took this morning of the sound:

There's a real good guy a few hours south west of you in AZ, his name is Nick Micale. He'll take great care of you. I know this because he built my motor.

Spent a few hours working with my mechanic (Michael) today. Had high hopes for it being the flexplate, being that once he separated the TC from the flexplate, the flexplate was wobbling something good...probably about a 1/4". But after closer inspection, it wasn't hitting anything, and not the cause of the sound; just bent apparently. And whomever installed the motor had a personal aversion to tightening bolts. Michael also discovered that the harmonic balancer had some play in it (~1mm) and it was discovered that its bolt was perfectly loose...we removed it by hand.

So after listening more closely (with and w/o a stethoscope), we determined the clacking sound was louder on the driver's side, and does sound like it's coming from inside the motor near the top, and not the TC/flexplate area. In taking off the that valve cover, Michael noticed that there didn't appear to be enough oil in the "bed" (bottom, galley?). And the front-most valves area looked especially low...almost dry. So we ran it and though the video (see link below) shows some from all pushrods, when we first started it, next to none came out of the two front-most pushrods. Michael says that there should be better flow. (see attached photo) Should they spurt oil at idle? I think the center two pushrods spit up a little during one of the starts when the rpms were higher. Note: Oil pressure light on dash went off immediately upon cranking, even before it fired up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqz7U6h0TbU

So he (and his shop neighbor, whom also heard the noise) suggested it might be a piston rod that wasn't tightened properly to the crank. Our thinking is that the rod is carrying the noise up through that piston, having it sound louder on that side.

I'm close to making the decision to have the car transported to Nick Michale in Phoenix to have him repair/rebuild it. He's quoted me $1,000 for the r&r, and between $1,500 and $3K depending on what he finds, damage-wise. Nick says they've rebuilt about 600 motors, so while I could possibly have it done cheaper, having it blueprinted and assembled by a TR motor Guru is appealing.

But first...I'm chewing on the idea of having Michael pull the oil pan to see if anything is revealed. I have a vision of it indeed being a loose rod (or bad bearings?), along with little other damage seen and chips/debris free oil in the pan and filter. It might be worth the $150-200 Michael will charge for pulling the pan. If so, it sure would be nice to fix the problem via the pan!

Qualified feedback is welcome. Of course there's also the question of the improper oiling. If it was a rod, would that cause the associated pushrod to not push up enough oil up top?

Attachments

• valves1.jpg
    valves1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 159
The magic question is "how much oil pressure do you have?"

2 bucks says the crank is cracked in half.:cautious: Remove the fan belt. Grab the crank pull and slightly turn it back and fourth. Watch the flywheel.

I would not run it much more if you don't want to be buying a new block.

If you can get it to Nick I would do so.

Great question...asked it myself. No oil pressure gauge. And you owe me 2 big ones. ;) Discovering that the harmonic balancer bolt was loose, after tightening it, we wanted to see what was causing the flexplate wobblation. So he rotated the motor via the HB bolt as I watched the flexplate turn. And eh...am I mistaken, or is there little possibility that it would run "fine" (like it does), with the exception of the noise if the crank shaft was cracked in half?

At this point, I'm 99% decided that I'll be shipping 'er off to Nick. My bigger questions at this point is since it'll be overhauled, what should I put in it, internally? I've got a budget of $4K, $1K of which will be his r&r cost. I like the idea of a cam, ported heads and roller rockers. Don't think my budget will allow that. I'm sure I'll have to wait until Nick takes it apart to see what it needs to make it healthy.

You need to ask yourself what your realistic goals are for the car. After that you can decide what you want to do with the internals. Heads will get you much further than a cam.
Save yourself some money and pull the engine yourself and ship it to him. Good luck

Bryan

Great question...asked it myself. No oil pressure gauge. And you owe me 2 big ones. ;) Discovering that the harmonic balancer bolt was loose, after tightening it, we wanted to see what was causing the flexplate wobblation. So he rotated the motor via the HB bolt as I watched the flexplate turn. And eh...am I mistaken, or is there little possibility that it would run "fine" (like it does), with the exception of the noise if the crank shaft was cracked in half?

At this point, I'm 99% decided that I'll be shipping 'er off to Nick. My bigger questions at this point is since it'll be overhauled, what should I put in it, internally? I've got a budget of $4K, $1K of which will be his r&r cost. I like the idea of a cam, ported heads and roller rockers. Don't think my budget will allow that. I'm sure I'll have to wait until Nick takes it apart to see what it needs to make it healthy.

Not going to feel it by rotating. Use a breaker bar on the balancer bolt and rock the crank back and fourth. It's common for the crank to crack through a rod journal and still run.

A forged rotating assembly with 2 center billet mains is the way to go. With your budget you might have to pass on the billet mains but should be able to do a forged rotor and still have a nice foundation.

If you need anything electrical, we're up in Loveland. I also have a radiator if you want to make a trip here.

Nick will make it right, no worries there.

Yeah! that sounds about right 4K for a rebuild, that's what I paid for a stock rebuild here in the Denver area. I used a very reputable builder and referred by another member, don't want to say the Business name but he is a great guy. he just does chevy small & big block, circle track, drag cars, etc. I actually had a rod knock within the first month and he said he would rebuild it for free if I drop it off, but I wasn't going for that, so already being great at automotive, I pulled and to my surprise he built it to Chevy specs. I searched, asked for the specs on here and I can say, to get those specs wasn't easy, but some once I had them it was priceless. So I built my own and been building them for the past 1o yrs for my GN's and local friends and have never had a problem yet, never had a motor go, besides a head gasket! At the end of the day, their is nothing you can do about detonation, I learned that the hard way! So had to venture out into tuning, learning and it's not easy..lol and still learning. I can build it for you, been working on car's since for over 25 yrs and I can build it for you Stock or whatever upgrades you want to throw it internally or Bolt-Ons. There are a lot of great members and vendors on here who helped me with a lot and I really am thankful, great community to be apart of. Whatever choice you make I know you will get a great motor that's done right!

Last edited:
Here is the "noise" issue, part of the cam fell down into the engine?

Never seen this happen before!

Library - 0245.jpg
Library - 0246.jpg

Okay...looking for a block. PM me if you have a healthy candidate for sale.

Yikes! that looks like some bad damage. I think I tracked down a 109 block in northern colorado. I am going this weekend to take a look.

Welp...Nick is dropping the new motor in as of yesterday, 1/27. Highlights are bored 020 over, forged pistons, forged crank, steel balancer, 206/206 cam, ported heads and new valves. Also having him install new HE radiator and stainless exhaust.

Attachments

• new motor 1.jpg
    new motor 1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 180
Nick will take good care of you. If you're ever near Loveland, stop by. Hwy. 25 and Crossroads.

Back