You can type here any text you want

Want honest opinions on these rims...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

If I had a choice, I'd be getting black Simmons OMs, and I'd be set. But I can't afford that right now. These wheels are sorta similar, I actually like them MORE in terms of not having the studs around the entire rim, and the lip is smooth whereas the simmons has a nice lip but it's got a few ridges in them. The only thing I'd say better about the Simmons is that the spokes are straighter, the OMs look more like BMW/Euro wheels while these other wheels have more curve to the spokes and look a little "ricey". I think for less than half the price, I could handle the differences though....

Attachments

• rpm-r505bc.jpg
    rpm-r505bc.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 520
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 444
They look good. I'd say go for it! Simmons are nice but there's quite price tag attatched.

Zoliaster said:
They look good. I'd say go for it! Simmons are nice but there's quite price tag attatched.

Thanks for replying. I probably will just go for it. I plan on having the car for a long time, I can always change them to something else if it doesn't look right. Simmons are way too expensive for my current budget, and it couldn't hurt to try something different instead of buying what everyone else does.

i was gonna ask the same question...whats the cost on those?? they look pretty tight not the look im goin for (centerline daggers for me) but still very kool.

"Want honest opinions on these rims..."
We were doing pretty good till I saw the word honest. No, I don't like any rim that has as big or as deep of a flat surface as those rims do. I like the 17" SLP ZR1 rims better, but that is just me. Or 16" GNX replica, which are getting hard to find, or just factory rims.

Wells said:
"Want honest opinions on these rims..."
We were doing pretty good till I saw the word honest. No, I don't like any rim that has as big or as deep of a flat surface as those rims do. I like the 17" SLP ZR1 rims better, but that is just me. Or 16" GNX replica, which are getting hard to find, or just factory rims.

Haha no problem, I wanted the truth! Opinions are opinions. I personally wouldn't like something as simple as 5 spoke ZR1 rims. Just different tastes, appreciate the honesty.

Everyone else, no they don't "make" these for GNs, they have a slight positive offset and I am going to have to use spacers on them. It's certainly not the ideal setup having to use spacers and adding to your unsprung weight, but any rims that DO come in the correct offset and backspacing, tend to bore me. Most of these modern looking rims are marketed for newer cars, so if you want something fancy, you almost have to space them out. Wheels are about $730 for all 4 (awesome), spacers run $60 a pair, so tack $120 onto the wheel price, and you're still under a grand for some nice wheels. And like I originally said, except for a few differences, you're pretty much getting the look of the Simmons wheels that everyone shells out the big bucks for.

Unfortunately the smallest size is 18s, but I think you had to go that big with the Simmons wheels too. They're available in black with chrome lip, black with machined lip, all chrome, etc. I'm getting 18x8s and 18x9s for the staggered effect.

The silver ones are the Simmons wheels. www.groupawheels.com

I think 99% of the time you have to order them within a group purchase. I've never seen a place where an individual can buy them directly. Maybe someone else knows.

You don't have to order as a GP, I did a single order through GroupA....talk to Jeff, he knows the correct back spacing for different width rims.

I think the wheels look great. I've been looking for a set like that for a long time but all the ones I've seen are slightly off in bolt pattern 5x120mm and are a 15mm positive offset.
Have any idea what size adapters you are going to need to run those?

Stuie said:
You don't have to order as a GP, I did a single order through GroupA....talk to Jeff, he knows the correct back spacing for different width rims.

The Simmons are pricey. I ran the first GP and a few of the members here got some before the Simmons price increase. But honestly, as far as the Simmons go -

Pricey? YUP
Exact? YUP
Quality? YUP
Resale? YUP

BTW - I like the black centers with the polished lips.

Boston Boy said:
I think the wheels look great. I've been looking for a set like that for a long time but all the ones I've seen are slightly off in bolt pattern 5x120mm and are a 15mm positive offset.
Have any idea what size adapters you are going to need to run those?

Well this is going to burst my bubble...but...uh....why do you say that 5x120mm is Not the right bolt pattern? :confused: What the heck are GNs then?

Turbo6Chicago said:
Well this is going to burst my bubble...but...uh....why do you say that 5x120mm is Not the right bolt pattern? :confused: What the heck are GNs then?

As stated above it's 5x120.65. From what I've read that .65 makes a big difference as far as stress on the studs.
It's easy enough to get adapters from Skulte or somewhere else though. I just have no idea what size we'd need for this application. I would love a set of these wheels too. I just don't know the math to figure it out. Someone here must know, but I posted this question a while back and no one answered. Let me know if you find out anything

Well that sucks....because all the while I've been looking at wheels and adapters, product descriptions constantly say 4.75" (120mm) as if they are one and the same thing. Those wheels are available in 5x4.75 instead of 5x120mm, but then the offset jumps from 20 to 38. Such a pain in the butt trying to do something original.

My friend has a late 90s Camaro and he's running the same rims I was asking about without adapters. I'm pretty sure Camaros run the same 5x4.75 pattern and I have a feeling he bought 5x120 wheels. Guess I should tell him it's not safe? Or is it do-able for a street car?

Well, only reason I say it may be unsafe is because when I was doing my research (for these exact style wheels) someone had posted here or the other board that they did this and attemted to drive to a show in another state and they sheered off 3 wheel studs or something like that. I can't imagine that happening on the highway. I would probably crap myself.
I would much rather just buy an adapter from Skulte with the correct spacing.
For what these wheels cost, it's worth it to drop another couple hundred on some correct adapters. You'd still fall under 1000 for the whole set which is incredible

the 120mm vs 4 3/4 is not enough difference to even come close to mattering imo. GTO guys run them all the time. .65mm divided by 5 is such a small amount, (think how small a mm is and divide that by 5, its like a hair) i bet that much slack or play is built into each rim in the first place. Lots of people on the fbody boards run them without a problem as well. i have honetly never seen or heard of a problem running 120mm instead of 4.75

Back