You can type here any text you want

Want honest opinions on these rims...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
COol then.
Next question...what does 15mm of positive offset mean as far as backspacing? Say I was running an 18x8 and an 18x9.5
Spacers?

TIA

Hm....well now I don't know what to do. One person saying they've heard horror stories about running 5x120mms....and a few others saying there's nothing to worry about.

Boston Boy, yes you'd want to run spacers. 9.5" wide rims with a +15mm offset means you'd have aproximately 5.35 inches of backspacing, way too much to fit between the mounting flange of the wheel and the frame rail. You'd at least want a 15mm spacer to get the offset back to zero and the backspacing back to 4.75.

well i dont know the mm conversions/backspacing to offset etc... but i run 17x9.5" wheels and have 4.75" Backspacing if that helps at all.

JDSfastGN said:
well i dont know the mm conversions/backspacing to offset etc... but i run 17x9.5" wheels and have 4.75" Backspacing if that helps at all.

yeah, based on those measurements, that means you have zero offset. The center of the wheel is exactly where the mounting flange is. You have 4.75" of the rim inside the car, and 4.75" on the outside after the flange, which is 9.5" split 50/50.

So if you were to get 9.5" wheels with any type of positive offset, you'd probably want to space them back to zero.

oneshot said:
Thare what i want also but i do not understand this whole process of back spacing and what not. What should i be looking for when i look for a tires.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-A...057476967QQcategoryZ43957QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Like would these fit a GN?

Fit right out the box? No. Fit with wheel adapters/spacers? Yes. For one thing, the bolt pattern is wrong. That's why you'd need wheel adapters. And the offset is 45MM, you MIGHT be able to pull that off because those are only 7.5" wide rims, but you'd probably want to space them so they don't sit too deep in the wheel well and look strange.

Turbo6Chicago said:
Hm....well now I don't know what to do. One person saying they've heard horror stories about running 5x120mms....and a few others saying there's nothing to worry about.

Boston Boy, yes you'd want to run spacers. 9.5" wide rims with a +15mm offset means you'd have aproximately 5.35 inches of backspacing, way too much to fit between the mounting flange of the wheel and the frame rail. You'd at least want a 15mm spacer to get the offset back to zero and the backspacing back to 4.75.

Ok so 15mm for the rear adapter. What if I do an 8.5" front wheel, Same offset.
In the front I believe I'd want a 4.25" backspace. So, correct me if I'm wrong, that would also be a 0 offset for the front if that's the backspacing I need, so i wouild also need a 15mm adapter?
Jeez I suck at this math, haha. But I guess once it's all figured out we could make it a sticky so that people with the same idea can just look at this and buy what they need

Now for the metric system ignorant...what does 15mm equal in inches?

They don't really look like rice to me. They actually look nice on the GN. My question, however, is how much do they weigh? I have a nice set of AT Italia Flash on my Audi and they weight like 25lbs just for the rims. :eek: Kinda like the GN rims... I bought 5Zigen FN series (forged aluminum) for my WRX and they weight like 13 lbs in 17" trim. Much lighter. Car actually feels more responsive.

After feeling the weight of my buddy's Welds, I might have to look at those even though I'm not really fond of the look.

turbo39151 said:
They don't really look like rice to me. They actually look nice on the GN. My question, however, is how much do they weigh? I have a nice set of AT Italia Flash on my Audi and they weight like 25lbs just for the rims. :eek: Kinda like the GN rims... I bought 5Zigen FN series (forged aluminum) for my WRX and they weight like 13 lbs in 17" trim. Much lighter. Car actually feels more responsive.

After feeling the weight of my buddy's Welds, I might have to look at those even though I'm not really fond of the look.

i don't know about the orignal wheels posted in this thread, but the wheels on my friends car that i posted probably weigh around 23-25 (they are 17x10 in the rear) heavy but nearly as much as stock GN paper weights.

I am the "one guy" that posted about 120mm not being correct. Strangely, my reply is now M.I.A.
I had a vehicle shear studs, due to less that .99 of a mm. IMO, .65 does matter, it may not to anyone else, and 1,000 others may be fine on them, but all thier opinions wont change my experience (of course on the way to SEMA to boot).

.65mm divided by 5 is such a small amount
Why not divide by 43, and get an even smaller number? Or 231? There is NO logic in dividing the difference in diameter by 5. The offset is going to bend the studs in- might divide it by 2, since all studs will move in on the radius. So then you have studs "bent" by a couple hundredths of an inch. Or maybe it won't divide evenly, and you'll have some studs bent by more, other studs not bent at all. I would tend to learn from the experience of GregInAtl- he tried it, it didn't work. Maybe it works on "F" bodies- but maybe some of them fail, too. It's possible to get wheels that fit, or to get adapters that MAKE them fit.

Ormand said:
Why not divide by 43, and get an even smaller number? Or

EDIT: don't take what i say as fact i guess, im reading more on the subject now, and i guess it could cause a problem in the case that a lug was not tightened down 100% because the taper of the lug hole is wrong... I still believe we are able to run them but if you want to be 100% safe then stay away. www.skulte.com can make badass adaptors as i run them on my car in the rear. Great product and service

JDSfastGN said:

Can anyone I.D. those rims? I know I've seen them at a different Buick forum too and they're under "various unidentified wheels". I really like the lip on those.

Boston Boy said:
In the front I believe I'd want a 4.25" backspace. So, correct me if I'm wrong, that would also be a 0 offset for the front if that's the backspacing I need, so i wouild also need a 15mm adapter?
Jeez I suck at this math, haha. But I guess once it's all figured out we could make it a sticky so that people with the same idea can just look at this and buy what they need

Your math is correct for the front. 8.5" with 4.25" backspacing would be zero offset. You shouldn't need to space them.

15mm is .59 inches.

As far as the discussion about 120mm bolt pattern being dangerous, it's pretty much a dead issue because I'll have to use wheel adapters regardless to fit these, BUT I did talk to someone today who's been in the automotive feel his whole life, teaches at UTI now, and he said there's no danger. You can expect a bolt pattern to have that much slop in it just from the wheels being stamped over and over at the manufacturer's plant. He said he remembered back in the 80s, installing aftermarket wheels on Corvettes that many times fit snug on the lugs, and never had any problems. But like I said, irrelevent now, these need to be spaced so far that I have to buy adapters anyway.

Boston Boy said:

There's about 25.4mm per inch. So 15mm is about equal to 19/32". And just so we're clear, as I understand it backspacing and offset are not the same measurement. Backspacing is the measurement from the furthest rear point of the wheel to the mounting flange and offset is the difference from center of wheel width. Wheel width is the distance between inside bead seats. A 10" wide wheel is usually 10 1/4"-10 1/2" outside to outside. So if a 10" wide wheel has 5" of backspacing and the lip is 15mm thick (just for an example) you'd actually have a -15mm offset. There is some info HERE that kinda explains what I mean. So if you're looking for a 4.75" backspacing on a wheel with +15mm offset you'd need (15mm to compinsate for + offset +6.35mm for 1/4" less backspace +wheel lip thickness (maybe another 6.35mm or 1/4)= 27.7(about)mm thick, or 1.09" thick

Adam

they are Rondells (#58s is what they are called i believe), 17x10 in the rear with 5" BS no frame or body modifications, and 17x8 up front.

Turbo6Chicago said:
Your math is correct for the front. 8.5" with 4.25" backspacing would be zero offset. You shouldn't need to space them.

15mm is .59 inches.

So, all we need to do in order to fit 18x9.5 rears and 18x8.5 front wheels in that style listed with a +15mm offset, is to call up Andris (Skulte) and have adapters made that are .59" thick and converting the 5x120.65 to 5x120mm

Easy stuff, lol

Back