Was a PT51 good idea

spool it up

Hey guys

Sorry to start another turbo ? but I order a PT51, FM, THDP, Scanmaster, MAF translater(original maf died) from pte.
After reading motorhead455"s post I"m starting to think it was a bad turbo chioce. Was it or not.

Thanks Rick

Ignoring the failure problems that some have noted...it might like a little more converter....

I prefer a 44/49 or something a bit larger....at least a 53 to a 45 (63E)....I don't see the point of a 51 but some do :)

Thanks Steve
I"m starting to think I should call Harry and get a ta49. Car will be ran mostly on street not strip. I just want to have lots of fun on street. I will go to track 3-4 times just to see what car will run.

Thanks Rick

I love them on the street...my son's T has a 44 with alky and it will blow the tires away at the slightest excuse...no waiting..It can be an eerie feeling to have the rear trying to come around at 50 mph when you hit it.

They will take you well into the 11's without straining....they may not have quite the top end of pull of a 51 but on the street...that does not matter..

Will a pt51 still produce tire frying fun on the street with the other mods I"m adding with it. I want to be fast at track but I want to have lots a fun on the street.

Rick

pt-51 will make grat power for your combo it really dont need more than the 2800 stall...thats what i have in mine and the converter is fine with it but it mainly depends on your tune.

if you already have the turbo you might as well run it i wish mine would hold up cause i really like the turbo but we all know my outcome which is no longer open for discusion on the board.:(

good luck with your choices

and totally honest if you dont run high boost 20 and up then you would be more happy with the 49 or 44

if its still with them i would change it to one of the others...i wish i had kept my ta-49..time in my sig was 22.5# of boost

Hey All..

To play on what Steve said, I actually didn't see the point of the 49 when I was upgrading. I figured that, for a street car, I could duplicate most of what the 49 would give me with the stock turbo. I specifically chose the 51 because it'd give me a little more oomph on the top end (at the time, I had my ass handed to me from a WS6 out here on 287 N in NJ). Thus, I didn't see the point of the 49.

51 does need more converter though. I was kinda dissapointed the first time I drove my car with the 51 and the D5.

Thoughts?

Rich

Originally posted by QuickWE4
51 does need more converter though. I was kinda dissapointed the first time I drove my car with the 51 and the D5.

Thoughts?

Rich

I was disappointed with mine, too, with the D5. A "club" modified D5 wasn't much better. Whatever is in it now is awesome. It's a Level10 converter, they sold me a 9" billet converter with 3,000 RPM stall. It looks to be about a 10.5", though. Stalls nice, though. Really woke it up.

Jim

Well I actually thought my PTE51 spooled ok with the D5 until I bought a GN last year that had a good stock turbo on it. Stocker spools faster.

But still didn't install the Vigilante sitting here since the PTE51 with D5 hits maximum set boost, now 18psi., about 75 feet further out than the stocker. :)

Car ran good with the MM 93 street chip and Translator+, not so good with the Extender and Translator+, but great again with the Maxeffort. These are results for spooling only tuning here.

Got some Nittos on the car today. Nailed it for the guys in the garage that were all watching, tires were cold and spun and got a bit sideways at 15psi. Thought I was gonna get more grip but they felt just like my snow tires lol. Wide road... :D

Jim:

Sounds good. Bruce had my 9X11 done last week, but he's still working on my new "superpump" so not sure if he's shipped anything yet.

Can't wait to get this over to Testa's shop for the install - I really have to stand on it to spool this thing...

Rich

Originally posted by QuickWE4
Jim:

Sounds good. Bruce had my 9X11 done last week, but he's still working on my new "superpump" so not sure if he's shipped anything yet.

Can't wait to get this over to Testa's shop for the install - I really have to stand on it to spool this thing...

Rich

Mine's still a little boggy out of the hole if I just stab it from idle. I still have a running rich problem - it stinks at idle and still wants to stall sometimes when I drop it in gear. I've been threatening to drop by Jim Testa's place so he can look at it, but I haven't been able to get over there. Shootin' for next weekend if he's available.

If I spool it up even a little against the brake, it's tire fry time. Even the new 275/60 DRs. I can smoke 'em for as long as I please. Just have to wind it up a little against the brake.

Jim

I find it weird that everyone complains about the spool of the 51 with the stock D5. My TA49 and setup as listed below spooled stupid fast. It was almost dangerous on street tires. I wetn to the PTE52 now and although it does spool noticeable slower that my old setup, it is really not too bad. I bought it with the plan to go with a 9" 3000 stall convertor anyways (which will be going in next week) but it spools pretty good as is. I'm actually worried that I will have way too much power for the street and will be roasting the tires all the time with the new convertor.

Just seems weird to me. My 52 has the same exhasut wheel and a larger compressor wheel and should spool slower than a 51, but feels prettly decent if you ask me. Dunno what to say guys....:confused:

Originally posted by Steve Wood
I say you should have gone to a 53 or 54! :D

Hindsight :rolleyes:

Actually, I spoke to both Joe Lubrant and Harry on a couple of occasions and gave them my combo and goals and said I thought I should go either 52 or 54 and they both said every time that the 52 was a kick ass turbo and that's what I should go with. I went with their advice. Hope I don't regret it.... :eek:

Hindsight is the surest kind!

I doubt you will be disappointed...just seems like a small step to me...on the other hand, with some converter, it should be a great street/strip turbo...

Originally posted by Steve Wood

I doubt you will be disappointed...just seems like a small step to me...on the other hand, with some converter, it should be a great street/strip turbo...

Hopefully....

11.20's is the goal for this year and with a little tuning and some decent boost I don't think it is out of reach. I went with a tight 3000 stall convertor, which I think is enough since the car spools pretty good already. I didn't have any problems building 5psi on the street tires with the D5 when I was testing after first putting the 52 on. If I crank up the adj prop valve and add in the 3K stall 10psi shouldn't be too difficult. :) I can hardly wait to try :D :D

It is on way to you.

Hey Quickwe4 all was in mail on Thursday I believe. Enjoy....

Hey Bruce -

Thanks for the update - certainly no rush but glad it's on the way!

Turbojimmy...

I'll be talking to Jim T. this week to schedule the installation. When I firm it up with Jim, I'll leave you an email. If you're around, swing by and we'll compare notes and what not while we watch Jim get all dirty underneath my car :D

Rich