Was I robbed? Red Stripe Converter

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I got a Red Stripe converter from one of the sh*t list vendors, and of course it was bad. Wouldn't stall. It has the signature red stripe around the outside, but anyone could do that. Almost paid twice for it, too.

I was cleaning the garage today - tired of tripping over it - and looked at it close. It has a "D" stamped on the trans side, but "7" all around the edge. Isn't the Red Stripe a modified stock converter and thus should be a D5?

If so, there's gonna be trouble. I can accept that maybe the Red Stripe didn't work right, I've seen a high rate of bad ones. But, to sell me one that was never a Red Stripe to begin with is pretty crappy.

TIA,
Jim

RED STRIPE???

TJ, Can we all guess where it came from?? SURELY not the Atlanta area?;)
The 7 says it all. You got had by a can of spray paint.

:mad:

I was afraid of that

Bastages.

Yes, it was our friends at Bowling Green Customs. They stole money from me TWICE now. I'm going to have to sue them for both the $370 they charged me for the converter and my labor for the R&R. May as well sue them for both 'cause I won't see a dime of either amount anyway. I can get a judgement against them, but getting them to pay it is a whole 'nother thing.

So we're sure there's no such thing as a "D7" Red Stripe? That would explain A LOT. I struggled with that thing for months.

Thanks for the reply,
Jim

The "orange stripe" I bought from Mike Licht @ ModernMuscle is a D7 also. I don't think it really matters, as the guts have (supposedly) been recalibrated for a higher stall. The external markings are surely left over from the original mfg run (I hope!).

Originally posted by S10xGN
The "orange stripe" I bought from Mike Licht @ ModernMuscle is a D7 also. I don't think it really matters, as the guts have (supposedly) been recalibrated for a higher stall. The external markings are surely left over from the original mfg run (I hope!).

That makes me feel better, then. It's still junk - won't stall, but at least it may not have been a deliberate hoodwinking. It was new, in the box, so I guess I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Jim

As Far as the casted or stamped number....only if it has never been touched would that apply. I can build GN converters all day long with the D7 on the shell. What matters is stator design and fin angle and stack height. So the fact it has a 7 on it is moot. As for you not getting what you wanted handle this carefully and with tact and I bet you can get it resolved . If not.....well then you might have dealt with the wrong vendor but I guess you already have figured that out. Price is not always the best deal...

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Originally posted by WE4
As Far as the casted or stamped number....only if it has never been touched would that apply. I can build GN converters all day long with the D7 on the shell. What matters is stator design and fin angle and stack height. So the fact it has a 7 on it is moot. As for you not getting what you wanted handle this carefully and with tact and I bet you can get it resolved . If not.....well then you might have dealt with the wrong vendor but I guess you already have figured that out. Price is not always the best deal...

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Thanks for the reply.

I've already thrown in the towel on it. I've burned that bridge after the effort I had to put forth to get my credit. They'd not likely be interested in making good on the converter. No big deal - live and learn. It was an expensive lesson, but not as bad as some others.

Jim

We learn by Money, Time or Pain.....looks like you had a hat trick...:(
I'm sorry for you , if it means anything.....:)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Originally posted by WE4
We learn by Money, Time or Pain.....looks like you had a hat trick...:(
I'm sorry for you , if it means anything.....:)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Yeah, I was taught a lesson on two of three - money ($370) and time (to swap it out).

With the events of the past week, it really seems trivial. I consider myself lucky to be alive to complain about such things as torque converters. I'm not saying that I forgive every misdeed anyone has ever done to me, but I'm a little more choosy about what consumes my mindshare. I stumbled across that TC yesterday, and figured I'd pose the question.

What goes around comes around, and BGC will find that out sooner or later. I just can't believe people still do business with them. I guess there's one born every minute - and I was one earlier this year. Everyone should do themselves a favor and peruse the archives for info on vendors before doing business with them. Not necessarily drudging up a vendor bashing session, but at least check the archives.

Thanks again for the reply,
Jim

if you decide to sue to get your money back, after you win, make sure you stop by the office after leavign the court room and file a "writ of execusion" the state should garnish wages and force them to pay. HTHs

With the events of the past week, it really seems trivial. I consider myself lucky to be alive to complain about such things as torque converters

That is the most important thing to look at.........your right.
:)
Bruce
WE4

I had a converter from BGC in my car too. While I never noticed a problem with it, after another problem, I pulled the tranny and converter. I had the converter cut open to check for damage and found that 8 of the fins had torn loose. I wouldn't exactly call it a red stripe, maybe an orange stripe was on mine. Mine didn't have D5 on it, just 5. The guys who told me to have it cut open, saw a number stamped into it, and they said it's a TransCrafters torque converter, actually they said transcrappers. They have seen ALOT of those brand tc's and said they are almost always junk. You could see the welds that were on the fins hadn't even penetrated the fin, just the case, there was just heat discoloration. As far as BGC goes, I have had good luck with them, and they didn't make the converter, so I'm not mad at them over it. And the guy who cut it open took the good parts that were left and made me a 3000 stall converter for like $200, so I don't have a core to try and send back to them to get a refund, not to mention they probably get all their 12 inch converters from the same place, so it would be a crap shoot, atleast I know what I've got now. And yes, you're right, atleast we're still here to enjoy our cars and everything around us.
God Bless America,
Scott P.
Semper Fi!