waste gate solenoid

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
so what exactly does this thing do ( the waste gate solenoid)
I changed my oil today took it for a spin and got a pop when I floored it like I just blew a hose off or something
car was running ok after that went straight home
popped the hood and started looking the vacuum line on the waste gate solenoid had come off
it probably off last time I drove it but didn't really get on it but the car seemed faster
why would it seem faster with this line off and why does it cause it to pop under WOT

On a stock style boost control setup the waste gate solenoid helps control boost. The factory wastegate actuator arm was rated around 10-12 psi. And i believe the Solenoid pulses from there to bring the boost to a stock level or as controlled by a chip. After around 17-18psi the chip can no longer manage boost properly and an adjustable actuator is best... Anyways did the hose pop off right at the solenoid? Make sure the car is still controlling the boost, if it suddenly feels faster and you are not monitoring boost be very careful, over boosting it will not end well. If stock, set up the hoses so the restricted side on the Y connector( usually a little grey Y fitting) is facing towards the line of the compressor outlet. Reconnect the single outlet end of the y fitting to the smaller solenoid line and remaining y outlet goes to actuator. Zip tie everything to ensure nothing comes loose. Get a boost gauge on the car and a way to detect knock ASAP, make sure everything is set up right and go from there. An overboost and a pop could be minor or major.. definetly wouldn't hurt to get a scantool and check everything out. Best of luck, if you are new to these cars start here:
https://www.gnttype.org/
Best of luck, getting this sorted- hope I was helpful

thank you very much had the car only a year Eric made me a chip for my mostly stock set up just have cold air intake that I made with Kirban's 3 inch maf pipe and 4.5 inch K&N air filter new 3 inch maf sensor and everything went together perfect fit, just wanted to smooth out the idle, not racing or anything
there are zip ties on the y connections just not at solenoid, but there are now
scared me but damn it was so much faster I trying my hardest to keep it stock

heres a pic had to clean turbo shield pretty good but wanted it to look OG

Attachments

• IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 69
Minimum Scantool like scanmaster And boost gauge...believe me you Will save money at the end

so what exactly does this thing do ( the waste gate solenoid)
I changed my oil today took it for a spin and got a pop when I floored it like I just blew a hose off or something
car was running ok after that went straight home
popped the hood and started looking the vacuum line on the waste gate solenoid had come off
it probably off last time I drove it but didn't really get on it but the car seemed faster
why would it seem faster with this line off and why does it cause it to pop under WOT

Wooppppssss! You’ve got it!!! Man and it hurts so good too!!

fa2e01c9668c415bd5ad31556784d827.jpg

5b634562927b18e7755078ed91f9da15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it blew the vac lines of ac control and fuel pressure regulator too
damn vacuum lines

it blew the vac lines of ac control and fuel pressure regulator too
damn vacuum lines

Hopefully my previous advice was helpful, again I cannot stress the importance of a scan tool and a set of decent gauges. Once you verify the boost line routing is as it should be and is all secured (zip tied) then move on and make sure you look at all the other vacuum lines. The line going to your fuel pressure regulator determines Fuel pressure under boost--This is vital, this should be securely on the Regulator nipple and zip tied secure. Make sure to reconnect it and verify base fuel pressure as according to chip maker. remember DO NOT boost if fuel pressure isn't rising with boost!...Over boosting the car coupled with no rise in fuel pressure and a pop--- doesn't sound good. Oh and Make sure to verify fuel pressure comes up according to boost psi. Example- lets say your base fuel pressure is 38-40 psi, if you boost 10 psi fuel pressure should rise accordingly to 48-50 psi . To check.. relieve rail pressure, remove schrader valve and get a gauge w/ a line on it. Make sure you can see the gauge and watch boost/ knock as well. If the motor isn't already hurt, take the car out for a few pulls and verify fuel comes up with boost and no knock comes up. Best of luck, need anything- let me know