You can type here any text you want

wastegate actuator should be moving!!?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gchild1853

hey there, ive been having lots of problems with my car latley... well this time, my boost gauge shot down to zero (no vac or boost).... and now when the turbo spools up the max amount of boost, the wastegate actuator will open the wastegate flapper... i have a feeling my turbo seized, with just a light rev i can see the wastegate arm move.. i know thats not good.. my exhaust manifolds were glowing redhot, just at idle... please help... just let me know

There should be so much tension on the wastegate from the spring in the actuator, that you will never see it move in neutral. You reaaly have to pull on the arm to connect the actuator arm to the wastegate.

If your manifolds areg lowing red hot at idle, it must be running very lean. Could be due to a large vacuum leak, which would be the same leak causing you gauge not to work. Trace you gauge's tubing back to the engine and fix the leak.

A scan tool like an OTC Monitor would be helpful.
eBay Motors: OTC Monitor 2000 used Diagnostic Scan Tool (item 110209560550 end time Jan-04-08 15:26:53 PST)

the boost gauge is hooked up, and i checked it out there is no leak... i put a new line on anyway, and still no luck.... the turbo smokes, and gets really hot... is there any possible that my turbo is stuck??? thats what it feels like to me, but from your experience it could be a lot more from what i see... ive replaced all my vac lines before, and i mean it wasssss running good... my car seems to do this, after i replaced the timing chain the car started right up, i drove it, and i had boost all the way untill close to home and then my boost gauge just dropped and it started acting funny...i figured i would still make boost if the turbo was rubbing but i am making none... there was a whine since i got the car but i wasnt sure if it was a bad whine, if if thats what the turbo sounds like... max boost i made was 5psi... keep letting me now ideas so i can keep checking... thanks a lot!!!

You can unbolt the downpipe from the turbo, push it aside and see the turbine impellar. Turn it with your fingers. It will have some play, but should not rub. You can even start the car and watch it spin.

When a draw-thru turbo goes bad, it's usually the seals to go out. When you decelerate, there is manifold vacuum inside the compressor. This will suck oil past a bad seal. Then when you go to accelerate again, there will be a lot of smoke.

Back