Watch the new install progress!

Good job Bradley! Have you figured anything out about your box design? I am assuming that you are puting it in the 1/4 panel firing into trunk cavity venting through the rear deck!

Thx. I now fully understand the importance of stretching the fleece/cloth tightly before applying the resin....thanks to the fact that it (the resin) shrinks when drying it will form wrinkles if the fabric isn't good and tight. I noticed more wrinkles (I couldn't get it wrinkle free unfortunatly, but that is what Bondo is for) after it had dried some.

For the sub enclosure, I do know what I will be doing. I won't be making it at an angle like I originaly planned since that will just add a lot of complexity and greatly increase the time for me to complete it (me being a novice at this and all), It will have the face for the sub extended out slightly to give the enclosure some curve's.

Tomm I hope to get the kicks nearly finished and hopefully get around to 'glassing my pods for the 8's, I still haven't done that.

Well the kicks are built and finished, all that is left is to cover them in vinyl.

Pics have been added in part 2.

I put the spkrs in and tested em out with various cd's of mine. WOW!!! I've got enough mid-bass for 2 people or more. At first I thought it was way overpowering, then I put in Star Wars Episode 1 sndtrk and went through it to find out its just right! (since I know EXACTLY how an orchestra should sound like and even better how timpani sound like) I've just never had midbass in my car b4 so it just sounds 'wrong' to have it there now i guess. LOL

You may call me crazy, but after tonight's little audition with the JL's I have some semi-major renovations I want to do to my setup (THAT ISN'T EVEN FINISHED YET may i remind u!!). I now do NOT want to use the 8"ers in the rear, since I have MORE THAN ENOUGH midbass upfront (can anyone say upfront bass :D ). SO, that means I only need 2 amps....and that will allow me to build an amp rack more how I would like to (limited by space with the 3 amps). I would like the amp rack to have a 'cover'so to speak and also be able to showcase the nifty looking passive x-overs for the JL's. Plus, now I have some good experiance with fiberglass work so I may actually be able to pull it off half-way decently (hopefully :) ).

Of course this may all change by the time I wake up tommorow. WHO KNOWS!!

Thing are looking good. Your kick pods look huge, are they in your way when driving, breaking, or while sitting in the pax seat. I was wanting to do similar if its not in the way. How about your e-brake is it still fuctional.

Hey Bradley,
Just a little FYI, I have had good luck with using 3-M spray adhesive and Weldwood contact cement for glueing down vinyl pieces. If you use any of the "cheaper" brands, you will stand a chance of it releasing after a while, especially in the Texas heat.

Are you going to have the vinyl color custom mixed to match your interior pieces? Make sure that you have it mixed for vinyl and not plastic. Let me know how it turns out.

I have to say that I am proud of your progress doing and building your system, at least its done right and you dont have to pay for labor fees. Good job :cool: .

Updated pics! The vinyl is on! I screwed up on the pass kick and its got a major wrinkle right next to the tweeter. If I ever get time to redo it I will. For some reason our digital camera decided to be GAY and screw up the pic of the drivers side, so I will get another one tommorow.

For paint, I painted it (the vinyl) using SEM ColorCoat #15063 Burgandy. In life its a pretty dang good match to my dash, although the pics make it seem like its a totally different color.

I used 3M Contact 90 I believe, its the stuff for Vinyl. The damn stuff isn't cheap either. $11 a can. But it sticks like CRAZY. I was getting really pissed at it. I would try to lay the vinyl down as smoothly/evenly as possible, only for it to not happen of course, and then have to pull up part of it to get out wrinkles. I nearly took chunks of the pod with the vinyl. Next time I do vinyl, I think I might just shell out the $$ and get the Heat formable vinyl from Select. You lay down the glue, which is not very tacky, and then apply the vinyl. You then use a heat gun to heat it up and then the glue reacts and bonds.

--------------------

be-regal: yes they are BIG. But you know what, I like em that way. I have them x-over @50Hz (36 db/octave slope) and they hit like a mofo. :D I have had the Q-forms for years now, and while they aren't as big as these, I did have to change my driving habits, so to speak. I used to put my left foot under the e-brake, I have now gotten myself to always to bend my left leg and have it parallel to the front of the seat.

No, unfortunatly I wasn't able to get the kick formed to be able to use the e-brake. I need to bend/modify the arm to move it right about an inch and then it looks like it will work. But I made these to be EASILY taken out so when inspection time comes around I can have the pod out in no time. Its 'attached' in 2 places. One being pressure from the sill plate when screwed down, the other is the velcro that holds it to the stock kick panels. Since I live in flat Texas, the only time I need the e-brake is for inspection.

------------------------

I am now starting to sell all my old stuff that has accumulated over the years. Go here for pics and info about each piece. I will also be posting this in the FS section.

Well, I have started on the sub enclosure. I have got all 5 sides up and the back has been fiberglassed (molded to the fender well). I have added a pic of it.

I tried getting another pic of the drivers kick, but what do you know, the battery on our camera went dead so now its charging. Someone must not want me to show that kick.....probably because its looks better than the other one. :confused:

The sub is in!!
It is absolutly awesome!!! It hits freakin hard as hell and never misses a beat. Always tight and in control. Oh yeah, the -3db in car for it is 10Hz!!! :D

I don't have any pics of it really...I didn't take many since I was in such a hurry this weekend to do it. plus my parents lent the digital camera out....

I did get a couple of pics of just the IDMAX to show its shear size (8.5" mounting depth!), but ran off and didn't get the pics dl'ed from the camera. I will try to get my parents to email them to me so I can get that posted also.

I am VERY happy with this sub! It was worth the wait and scrambling in trying to find one!

Re: Looking good........

Originally posted by TurboV6
Dam I miss installing car audio :(

You could always do it part-time like I do. I wished that I had more time to do more.

Allmost every weekend I got "side jobs" but I miss doing bigger systems, fabricating stuffs, door pannels, ect...:(

Originally posted by mcss383
The sub is in!!
It is absolutly awesome!!! It hits freakin hard as hell and never misses a beat. Always tight and in control. Oh yeah, the -3db in car for it is 10Hz!!! :D
!

Wow......-3db at 10hz ?? Are you sure about that ? Is kinda hard to do with such a small box..........

It looks good though.

well, I should of specified....thats what Image Dynamics says it is with a 1.3 ft^3 box. Not sure of what car they got that from, but it should be fairly close unless they did it in a suburban or something. lol. I just posted that because that just blew me away, I haven't seen many subs even CLAIM that (like audiobahn CLAIMS they are 96db efficient and handle 1200rms :rolleyes: ).

There is a pretty good shop here in town, I want to take my car and get some measurements taken (max spl, -3db, resonance, etc) to get some definate #'s. I believe that ID's specs are pretty accurate.

It does go low and hard. I am still completly amazed with it. I recommend this sub to anyone. I highly reccomend this sub!! For $300-320 on ebay (if you are lucky enough to find one like me) is a steal for what you get.

mcss383

You didn't quit on the install did you, I'm very interested in how everything turned out!!!!!!!!

nope, its done for the most part. All that i have to do is some finish work on the vinyl, as in fill in the seams with vinyl repair kit and then re-dye it.

follow the link in my sig and then to stereo system. I haven't gotten all the pics and how-to's on the sub enclosure yet, but everyting else is there.

nice

nice finished setup, very clean....yet very basic..

two thumbs up!

-Yedi-

I really like the way that you finished it out Brad :) Its a clean install that gets the job done with a useable trunk. If I can make it to the Texas Heat Wave this year, I want to listen to your car :cool: .