You can type here any text you want

water pump pulley

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

michael evans

Would it be cheaper / easier to send mt stock pulley out to be plated or buy one done ?

Would polished aluminum be a better option for longer lasting finish ?

Depends on what you want to the final result to be.

I'm guessing painted black isn't on the list.

That is what it is now (painted), I was just going to dress it up over the winter.
What are the rest of the pulleys? Don't you want them to match? I would.

My choice. All polished aluminum looks good. And it can be occasionally buffed out and re-polished when they get ugly. But if the rest of the engine compartment has tarnished rusted up stuff it may be overkill.

Powder coating is nice. But if you scratch them or get staining chemicals on them (and you will) then that's it. You have to do it again.

Chrome is very flashy. Maybe to much so. It ain't jewelry. And again, how does it work with the rest of the engine compartments look? Do you wan't it to look like a Harley? Maybe some purple chrome with tribal engraving? Like a Honda or low-rider.

No. In most cases plain old paint works just fine. If you have the bare minimal hand-eye coordination, you can get it to look exactly like powder coating. It's easy, cheap and you can do it again whenever you want.

Hard anodized aluminum as an example.

20150421_140836.jpg

After thinking about it, it would look nesty with a mix of different types of pulleys.

Didn't want black and the crank pulley is aluminum so I put it the lathe and did a brushed / polish on it to get the black paint off.

I will swap them over to aluminum pulleys like Joey said.

So where is a good place to get a 6" (factory ?) water pump pulley ?

Would it be cheaper / easier to send mt stock pulley out to be plated or buy one done ?

Would polished aluminum be a better option for longer lasting finish ?

I am a big fan of a nice, classy engine, but if you have a performance engine capable of high RPM, be careful of a chrome or polished alum pulley which has a shiny surface where the belt rides, as you may have belt slip?

Also, I have had a couple alum pulleys that have come apart at high RPM, worse damage was done to the underside of the hood with "reverse" dents.

I am a big fan of a nice, classy engine, but if you have a performance engine capable of high RPM, be careful of a chrome or polished alum pulley which has a shiny surface where the belt rides, as you may have belt slip?

Also, I have had a couple alum pulleys that have come apart at high RPM, worse damage was done to the underside of the hood with "reverse" dents.

My aluminum pulleys don't have those cut out details. They're just the solid one piece design. Did the ones that came apart have the cut outs like the ones Jerryl posted pics of above?

Mine have been spun to over 7200 RPM with no problem yet.

That is why I will stay from the Chinese parts. I don't care if someone wants to give me a set.

Back