You can type here any text you want

wear on timing cover from cam button

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

85begalttype

just a v6
I have my timing cover off replace my warn out loose timing chain, i have the original plastic cam button
and there is wear into the timing cover from the button. i dont have a way of measuring the wear, but maybe half the thickness of a dime, maybe less.
does the cover need to be replaced, or machined? when i reinstall i am going to using the roller cam style button cloyes 5189.

Buy the replacement thrust button for the cam, its a spring loaded captured torrington bearing, pretty much a standard item to replace when replacing the timing set.

What Buick Mark Said..Go springed rollor bearing type..If you have factory plactic gear set timming gear set,swap that out too, while in your that part the motor,you may want to add high pressure or volume spring to oil pump for better oilling

Enjoy!

what you see as wear might be normal for the cover , they are made with that surface ground flat so they can look like they wore in that way
what you need to do is look close and see if it is flat before running the torrington bearing cam button. if it is domed up in center then you would need to spot face ,

I machine them flat. You can use a small Dremel sanding disc to flatten it out. Easy to do. If it's REAL deep you can flatten it out and screw a .032" steel plate to it. Use epoxy to hold it and seal/lock the screws in place. I have never had to do that though. I have read that other have darn near worn through, though. It'll wear right into the waterpump cavity. If it was really that bad, time for a new cover.
Again, I have done lots and lots of timing cover porting/set-ups and have never had to do anything other than machine it flat. 3 minutes with an end mill or sanding disc and your done.

Back