Weighed up the fiberglass bumpers vs. stockers with aluminum

Intercooler

I took the weights of the stock bumpers I just pulled off my car that have aluminum bumper inserts and the absorbers attached just like it would be on the car. Weights:

Front= 45 lbs.
Rear= 50 lbs.

Next is the weight of the Kirban front and rear fiberglass bumpers I just got with South East Turbo aluminum mounting brackets. Weights:

Front= 12 lbs. (2 lbs. for the brackets)
Rear= 9 lbs. (2 lbs. for the brackets)

So,

90 lbs. stock front and rear with aluminum inserts and factory brackets/shock absorbers
21 lbs. fiberglass bumpers with aluminum mounting brackets

69 lbs. total weight saved. These numbers would have been higher with stock bumpers and steel inserts.

:eek: cool info...you just made your car faster and it dont even have a motor in it.. :D now you can push it easier..:)

Jesse, How much was the rear bumper and brackets? Are the rear brackets the same as the fronts?

LL,

The rear bumper with insert, mounting bracket and absorber that slide up into the frame weighed 50 lbs. If it were a steel reinforced insert I bet you could add another 10 lbs. pretty safely. I actually think the rear absorbers are longer but I didn't pay close attention. Anyone?

FYI........Rear bumper with steel insert weighs 60 lbs. I weighed one this week. As I recall the stock bumper struts weigh around 4 lb. each. I made up some aluminum bumper struts for my FG bumpers and they weigh about 1lb. each.

I sure would hate to have someone bump into my car with glass bumpers on it! I'll stay with the steel ones with alum inserts.

Everyone that sells the FB bumpers has warnings about how useless they are in a crash. Is this crap or are they a track only item

Thanks for the info, Intercooler. Makes me glad I swapped mine out for fiberglass, too. I didn't have the aluminum inserts, so mine were even heavier. Good luck with your car! Blackbuick87, yes, these bumpers are useless in a crash, thats why they say for track use only. I, and many others, drive my car mainly on the street with 'glass bumpers, but use your judgement. I put like 2000 miles a year on my car, but if I had to drive it daily, I probably wouldn't have gone with fiberglass.....OK, I would, but I'm crazy like that.

Originally posted by Louie L.
Jesse, How much was the rear bumper and brackets? Are the rear brackets the same as the fronts?

Jesse, I guess i should have been more specific. How much did the rear bumper cost and brackets. Are the aftermarket brackets the same front and back?

Thanks

Louie: I can tell you that the front and rear brackets ARE different, but I don't know the prices.

I bought some years ago when I gutted the aluminum bumper supports and retained the stock chrome bumper "covers" on my T-Type. Don't remember how much weight I saved doing that and the aluminum brackets, but every little bit helps!

Originally posted by Red Regal T
FYI........Rear bumper with steel insert weighs 60 lbs. I weighed one this week. As I recall the stock bumper struts weigh around 4 lb. each. I made up some aluminum bumper struts for my FG bumpers and they weigh about 1lb. each.
Sounds about like what I expected.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
I sure would hate to have someone bump into my car with glass bumpers on it! I'll stay with the steel ones with alum inserts.
Bump or crash? The Kirban units will take a bump. If someone hits it at 10 MPH or so it will crack, no doubts. Even if you have steel front or rears you will see traces of damage if it was subjected to the same hits. No bumperettes, no impact strips to fade, no rust and much lighter!

Originally posted by Louie L.

Jesse, I guess i should have been more specific. How much did the rear bumper cost and brackets. Are the aftermarket brackets the same front and back?

Thanks
Both front and rear bumpers from Kirban's are the same price at $185 a pop. I won the front aluminum bumper brackets from SE Turbo in the raffle but bought the rears the other day $50 for the pair. I believe front or rear doesn't matter, $50 and they are real nice pieces! The rear brackets are shorter than the fronts taking a different size.