weight gain from 12" brake swap

Scott Atk

Has anybody weighed the two systems?? I recently bought a 12" setup. Has some pretty good heft to it.

doubt it would be enough to notice...if it has aluminum calipers it's probably lighter...you won't know how much your brakes weight till you get them off.

If you are talking about the b body brakes, then I would have to say that if there is any additional weight, it would be mostly in the rotors. I cant see it adding more than 10lbs per side and some of that trades off with the tubular upper control arms :)

Yes, B body setup. I bought the setup used, He sent me the rotors, calipers, and spindle all assembled. Im guessing they weigh about 50 pounds each !! :eek:
I had no idea, but you're right, the stockers might be very close.
Thanks.

I weighed the difference when I installed mine. If I remember right, the 12" swap with Global West control arms was 7# heavier than stock stuff per side. I weighed each assembly as a unit, not individual parts, so I'm guessing most of that gain is from the bigger rotors.

But if you dump your stock GN wheels and get just about any decent modern alloy wheel instead, you make all that back and maybe even end up lighter. Like, my GTA wheels are 17# each, vs. 25# or more for a GN wheel.

Originally posted by Scott Atk
Good info Matt. THANKS ! Already run Welds. Im thinking about getting a set of aluminum calipers to at least get me back to where I was. These are only 4.4 lbs each.

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/outlaw.htm

Wow, those are sweet, and not a bad price. Wish I'd known about those when I did the whole swap! Do you know which model would be a bolt-on for B-spindle cars with 12" rotors?

The only issue Im working on now is the brake line. The OUTLAWS use an 1/8" pipe thread and the stocker uses a banjo style. Probably gonna have to come up with something custom.