You can type here any text you want

Welding a cracked header?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bobtempest

Staff member
What does everyone use to bolt the header to when they are having it welded? I cannot find a 3.0 liter head anywhere around my area. I need something to bolt the header to so I will not warp when I have it welded.

Thanks in advance.
Rob Hinson

It should be tig welded, and as long as its not real serious and on the flange you shouldn t need to bolt it to anything. Typically its not a problem at all if its cracked in the usual place.

driver side close to the collector, I think ussually on the back side. (not anywhere near the flange.

I ve had the passenger side crank also, up by the turbo, just about oppisite to the o2 sensor hole, but I had a big turbo on with no brace.

Sorry it was early, I don t know what I was typing....edited...

Originally posted by 1320
passenger side close to the collector, I think ussually on the back side. (not anywhere near the flange.

I ve had the driver side crank also, up by the turbo, just about oppisite to the o2 sensor hole, but I had a big turbo on with no brace.

I think you have your sides confused,but anyway I have had problems with the passenger(turbo)side cracking where the tubes go into the log and where the tubes weld to the flange.Also had one once with a crack right up by the turbo.

I've always mig welded them with stainless steel wire and usually have them bolted to a spare head - you should be able to find a set in just about any junkyard as they were very common.If you end up with an exhaust leak where the flange meets the head as I have when a header was repaired wrong, you can use FelPro MS93046 as a header gasket.They are metal backed and hold up well even under high boost,I have on on my GTA's Passenger side header and run the boost as high as 27psi with no problems.

HTH,
Steve

dam...your right, corrected....I guess Im not all the way awake yet or something.

Originally posted by TTA850
I think you have your sides confused,but anyway I have had problems with the passenger(turbo)side cracking where the tubes go into the log and where the tubes weld to the flange.Also had one once with a crack right up by the turbo.

I've always mig welded them with stainless steel wire and usually have them bolted to a spare head - you should be able to find a set in just about any junkyard as they were very common.If you end up with an exhaust leak where the flange meets the head as I have when a header was repaired wrong, you can use FelPro MS93046 as a header gasket.They are metal backed and hold up well even under high boost,I have on on my GTA's Passenger side header and run the boost as high as 27psi with no problems.

HTH,
Steve

Thanks for your responce. I've searched a few junk yards & they did not have a 3.0 FWD 85' model Lasabre head. Is that the right head? Im assuming it is.

Thanks for you help,
Rob Hinson

Rob, I belive these heads were used on 1985-1988 Buick, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs with the Vin L 3.0L engine.I dont remember all of the casting numbers except for the one I have on my GTA's motor casting number 25527515.

Steve

Back