You can type here any text you want

Well guys I have sort of a dilemma

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

xsbc63x

I bought a 89tta back in June with intentions of restoring/making a nice driver. when i bought the car the guys i bought it off were idiots, they said the melted a hole in one of the pistons, so they replaced 1 piston and both head gaskets, after seeing some of the work that was done on the car, They are hacks and i was weary, however the car made the 2 hour drive home. Well i didn't drive it much due to a bad turbo, engine oil leaks, 2 bad coils, junk plugs, etc. etc. , and i drive my other car as well(97 supra turbo) so this was just going to sit til winter, and i can tear it apart. well winter is here, i pulled the engine out and started pulling it apart today, the engine ran good,good oil psi, etc so i wasn't going to pull the heads off of it, just reseal everything else and upgrade the injectors, turbo etc. when i pulled the valve covers off, i noticed i have 3 bent push rods, so now im going to pull it all apart, what do you think i should do as far as a rebuild, im not looking for anything crazy, as i have my other car as well, but i have a pt52 turbo, 50lb inj and a chip for now that is going on the car. what are your guys opinions on what i should do, i know its hard to say without seeing everything but... any ideas would be helpful, again I don't need anything to handle crazy power, something in the 11s would be good. and im trying to not spend a ton of cash in this build either.

Did you happen to do a compression or leak down test before you took it out? That would tell a lot. If the motor is out I would at a minimum replace the rod and main bearings and drop off the heads at the machine shop for a good check out and valve job. If you're feeling froggy you could home port the heads and intake while it's apart as well.

I bought a 89tta back in June with intentions of restoring/making a nice driver. when i bought the car the guys i bought it off were idiots, they said the melted a hole in one of the pistons, so they replaced 1 piston and both head gaskets, after seeing some of the work that was done on the car, They are hacks and i was weary, however the car made the 2 hour drive home. Well i didn't drive it much due to a bad turbo, engine oil leaks, 2 bad coils, junk plugs, etc. etc. , and i drive my other car as well(97 supra turbo) so this was just going to sit til winter, and i can tear it apart. well winter is here, i pulled the engine out and started pulling it apart today, the engine ran good,good oil psi, etc so i wasn't going to pull the heads off of it, just reseal everything else and upgrade the injectors, turbo etc. when i pulled the valve covers off, i noticed i have 3 bent push rods, so now im going to pull it all apart, what do you think i should do as far as a rebuild, im not looking for anything crazy, as i have my other car as well, but i have a pt52 turbo, 50lb inj and a chip for now that is going on the car. what are your guys opinions on what i should do, i know its hard to say without seeing everything but... any ideas would be helpful, again I don't need anything to handle crazy power, something in the 11s would be good. and im trying to not spend a ton of cash in this build either.

Sounds like you should at least tear it apart and have a look see. The cost of a gasket set is all that would be needed, and it sounds like you need one anway. If they blew a hole in one piston, it obviously was detonated. That can bend the two pushrods. Pretty common to bend factory pushrods when severly detonated. I've seen it happen more than I care to remember.

And, "only" 1 hole burned?? Doubt it. The morons "fixed" the obvious, in order to dump the car.
As Ken said.. Take it down to the last nut/bolt....

Let us know what else they "fixed".:eek:

well i got the heads off last night and one of the heads was never off, the other head gasket was recently replaced, and i see no signs of a piston that was replaced. all of them look decent on the top side, and on the bottom side, all seem to have the same amount of stains on them from the oil, i think they just blew a head gasket and that was all ?!!? they told me both head gaskets were replaced, and one piston melted, but i see no signs of a new piston and no pitting on the pistons.

Back