You can type here any text you want

What 2 look for ...buying a TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rex362

hello ...I know nothing of Turbos (yet).....what do I basicly look for and watch out for ....will be looking at one with about 50k miles in the next few days..

Where's the car located? I could come help you look at it if it's not too far from me if you'd like. I'll try to write this up in good detail and organized by the area.

Paint and body: From the factory there will be some blemishes in the paint. I have seen anything from just a little dirt to a finger print in the paint. Look around the door jams for rust. The under body will probably have some surface rust if it's a northern car but shouldn't be too bad. Under the front lip it is normally scrapped do to the long front nose and how low the car sits. If it's the original spoiler expect it to be craked and the top of it to no longer be flat. If it's not cracked and is flat on the top it is probably a fiberglass. The stock spoiler wasn't painted on the bottom of it so there was a primer finish. Make sure all the emblems are there. The gold might be a little worn so they might look silver around the edge that's normal for original emblems. Make sure the automatic trunk latch works. Don't slam the trunk just lightly set it down and the motor should pull it down the rest of the way. It's normal for hood and trunk shocks to be shot if they're not already replaced.

Interior: For the original seats expect the leather to be a little cracked. If it was well taken care of they shouldn't look too bad. Inspect the carpet for stains and other problems. Check the dash pad, if it's been parked outside for an extended amount of time it normally will crack or fade. Try the stereo to make sure the antenna works. The stock stereo isn't the greatest sounding and if the speakers are original they'll probably be blown or ready to go due to age. Check panels for fading and just normal wear.

Engine: Look around for any oil leaks. Check the oil to make sure it's not a little milky from a headgasket leak. If you can you'll want to remove the intake tubing and check the turbo for shaft play. Start the motor up and chekc for any abnormal sounds. Drive the car and make sure it's boosting alright, the stock boost gauge is pretty much worthless but as long as it reads something or the car feels like it's pulling pretty hard you should be alright.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure others will correct me on some of the things I said or have things to add. If you're interested in me coming with you you can get ahold of me through email at Mengele62@yahoo.com or AIM at Burntofferings62.

thanks for the offer ....I might take you up on that...the cars located just outside of chicago...

I'm ok on all fronts except when it comes 2 turbos...I never dealt with em...

the cars being sold by a pontiac dealer ....its all clean just a few chips and scratches...it has about 52k miles ..cloth interior (i like leather though)...i have looked at it but not driven it....the ignition switch went bad and wont turn...they are fixing it and will call me when its ready.....they were asking $15300 for it a few weeks ago but nobody is biting...they will let me have it for 13,500 out the door...

but no kit with the car..

I have been in the market for a clean one...cant find any ..the ones on ebay just hit 2 high....and am timid 2 buy one on ebay..

Is this the one at Napleton Pontiac in Schaumburg? I saw it there a few weeks ago when I was picking up some parts. I didn't look at it but I'd be happy to go back and go over it if that's the one.

yea thats the one....but I am waiting for them 2 fix the ignition ...the key wouldnt turn....

Just let me know. I'm in the market for a Daily driver so I will just look around at the dealerships while I'm there anyways. I'l be gone this weekend and August 26-28 but aside from those weekens I can come look at it just let me know a little bit in advance. Oh and nice find on the cloth. I would have loved to have found a cloth car. They're much easier to maintain. ALthough I don't think they look as good they don't wear as bad which is a plus if you plan to drive the car regularly.

ALXTTA 1....

seems you are close 2 it....yea if ya have time stop in and check it out ...the ignition should be fixed some time in the afternoon 2day......i doubt they let you drive it.....they were very picky and freaky about anybody driving it unless they make a deal price wise....very freaky if you ask me...

rex362 said:
ALXTTA 1....

seems you are close 2 it....yea if ya have time stop in and check it out ...the ignition should be fixed some time in the afternoon 2day......i doubt they let you drive it.....they were very picky and freaky about anybody driving it unless they make a deal price wise....very freaky if you ask me...

Yep, it's not far from me at all. If I have time I'll stop by on my way home tonight. Did you run the VIN on it? I can understand them not wanting joyriders taking it out and beating the snot out of it, but I'd get suspicious if they're being that weird about letting you drive it. I'll definately ask and see what they say.

joyriders..???

I told them I was ready 2 buy on the spot (ca$h) if it drove as good as it looked...and they were still freaky about it...

give it a try...

my buddy ran the vin....and came back with nothing..... :confused:

just in case anyone has unlimited use of carfax or whatever ....

the vin is...1G5FW2171kL242000

$9800....wow what a deal....

thanks for the info....I contacted them about it...

well...I just came back from my first test drive in the TTA `.....

they had the car lifted on the rack when I got there....underneath,,,bad u joints .bad trans mount....oil all over the pan...new exhaust...

then finaly test drive....t

the cars a dog......running wise....my 1992 dodge mini van has more kick....seems theres no boost...wouldnt even chirp the tires

took it around just once and said....FORGET IT!

its basicly a good looking $8,000 car if ya ask me....

btw.....still looking for one....a clean one...

I bet there are a lot of TTA that run crappy. A lot of times it is just some basic maintenance to get them back to normal. My TTA ran OK when I got it. It runs night and day better now. If I did not know these cars, I would not have been impressed with the performance of my car when I first drove it. People are either too cheap to get them running right or are just lazy and don't care. As long as there is nothing major wrong with the car, it might be a good car to buy. A "spring cleaning" can do wonders for the TTA or a TR.

fuel tank pump change

On any TTA look under the carpet in the hatch area for modified sheetmetal. Pay close attention to the area just behind the rear seats.............

Back