You can type here any text you want

what alt do i need?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

88 CuttyClassic

The Enviromental Hitman
well i'm re-doing the set up in my 85 SS. The current alt is rated at 94amps. the car itself has standard electronics except the nordskog digital guage pannel. as for the stereo stuff, i'm adding on one amp to what i had. what i currently have is a 1000 watt sony amp pushing a audiobahn aw1200x with a 1 farad cap, 120 amp circuit breaker and 4 gauge power wire. at night with the lights and AC on i probably hit 13.1 volts when a bass note hits. basically i'm adding another sony 1000 watt amp and another aw1200x sub. what upgrades do i need to make to my system? Wiring? circuitbreaker? battery? alt?

The 4 gauge should be fine. The current draw of the sony amps isn't that much. Make sure to upgrade the chassis ground (bat to body, engine to body) with 4 gauge - VERY IMPORTANT (even with an all stock nothing added car)!
I personally hate circuit breakers but, the amperage of the one you have will be plenty (it's probably to much!)
Don't even think about a second battery - useless and will only put further strain on the electrical system.

The only proper fix to a weak cahrging system is a bigger alternator. I prefer the Wrangler alternators...it's the only alternator I haven't burnt.

Originally posted by zam70
The 4 gauge should be fine. The current draw of the sony amps isn't that much. Make sure to upgrade the chassis ground (bat to body, engine to body) with 4 gauge - VERY IMPORTANT (even with an all stock nothing added car)!
I personally hate circuit breakers but, the amperage of the one you have will be plenty (it's probably to much!)
Don't even think about a second battery - useless and will only put further strain on the electrical system.

The only proper fix to a weak cahrging system is a bigger alternator. I prefer the Wrangler alternators...it's the only alternator I haven't burnt.
thanks a lot bro

Back