You can type here any text you want

what are signs of your belt tentioner going bad ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bpman1234

yes my be a dumb one whats the best way to check it thanks in advance.

Tapping sound, almost like knocking but slightly louder and irregular, mine shows itself when the idle drops or stumbles.
I just recently got a shorter belt as a crutch since i would not buy a $300.00 plus aftermarket unit.

Look for slop belt play at lower RPM's also helps if you have felt a good tensioner. When you put a wrench to the nut and pull it you can feel a nice tight tension with the spring.

To the OP are you hearing something? Have you run it without the belt?

I think we've all chased down a rattling sound. I've found the intercooler shroud rattling/thumping, the alternator was making quite a racket and a bolt holding the intercooler bracket was just loose enough to make the untrained ear (mine) fear the worst. Run it without the belt and see if it goes away and if you don't already have one get a stethoscope

In lieu of a stethoscope you can also use a long screwdriver. Place the tip on anything you think may be rattling and the handle end against your ear. You'll hear it

Back