What are the brighest lights for a TR??

Bad luck with the Silver Stars so far

After reading this thread, I went to Autozone and bought SilverStars for the Buick and my 93 STS. Fortunately I installed the Caddy ones first...

They are definitely "blue-ish white, and thus look like HID, but I think they are WORSE at lighting the road than the regular Sylvania halogens I removed.

I'm going to play with them a little more, maybe they require some modification to the aim when you drop them in? Did any of you SilverStar guys have to re-adjust ?

If I can't get them right on the Caddy, I'm definitely returning the ones for the Buick.

Mike [:)

Your kiddin me.. I have heard nothing but good about Silverstars. I have cool blues and love em and the silverstars are even brighter.
Autozone?? Im gonna check tomarrow.. Which ones did u buy for the Buick? I assume you have the euro conversion lites so that you can change the bulbs

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Your kiddin me.. I have heard nothing but good about Silverstars. I have cool blues and love em and the silverstars are even brighter.
Autozone?? Im gonna check tomarrow.. Which ones did u buy for the Buick? I assume you have the euro conversion lites so that you can change the bulbs

Frank you're talkin to a man that just dropped $150 on light bulbs, I'm serious as the day is long :( I have Sylvania XTRA Visions on the Buick which work very well, so I figured the Silver Stars were a no brainer. Now I'm afraid to crack open the box in case I have to take them back.

No conversion is necessary, they are drop in. The Caddy is just a bulb cartridge and costs $20 each and the Buick ones are full sealed beams which cost $25 each.

If you go to Autozone, ask for the $10 per pair rebate which is good until 6-30-03. I'm curious to hear your results. Remember don't just look at the bulb, look downrange to see the illumination.

I'm gonna go for a ride now and tweak....

wow. I did not realize that the silverstars were available in regular sealed beams.
Im a gonna have to think twice about the silvers now..

FlyinGn, think twice as in you might not want them because they are sealed or more likely to get them because they are sealed?

Is sealed a good thing or bad? I almost bought them today. Saw the 10.00 rebate for two and that made the price a bit easier to swallow.

I was hoping "you get what you pay for applied here...."

The SS bulbs, minus headlamps, are also available, for the non-sealed "euro" headlamps.

HTH :)

Franks concern is probably that if you ding a sealed beam, the $25 filament is junk.

I've given up on the Silver Stars. In my book they are for HID appearance only. I hope Autozone takes them back.

[:)

I bet the SS bulbs would have to make a difference vs. the '87 lamps. Sylvania states one-third better than their Cool-blues, & 3 times better than the factory units.

My guess is, & according to your experience, the '93 Caddy lamps
must have been pretty good performers already.

Why not try them on the Buick?

Then, I'm betting you'll only be taking one set back.

HTH

:)

Originally posted by Two Lane
I bet the SS bulbs would have to make a difference vs. the '87 lamps. Sylvania states one-third better than their Cool-blues, & 3 times better than the factory units.

Why not try them on the Buick?

Then, I'm betting you'll only be taking one set back.

HTH :)

Two Lane I'd agree with you except for one detail you missed- I'm using Sylvania Xtra Vision on the Buick which are noticeably brighter on the road than standard halogen bulbs.

[:)

do the sylvania cool blue headlights have a blueish appearance to them and do they just give white light or is it blue...i want to get some headlights that appear blueish but emit bright white light...are these the bulbs that i want??? also i want the brightest parking light bulbs you can buy...where can i get those?

Originally posted by d0n_3d
do the sylvania cool blue headlights have a blueish appearance to them and do they just give white light or is it blue...i want to get some headlights that appear blueish but emit bright white light...are these the bulbs that i want??? also i want the brightest parking light bulbs you can buy...where can i get those?

No the Cool Blues actually give off white light.

do they "look" blue though? i actually want the white light...but i want them to look blueish...

do they "look" blue though? i actually want the white light...but i want them to look blueish...

No they look like a regular halogen light.

This is where I got mine.
http://lighting.mbz.org/products/
I don't recommend upgrading your lights without upgrading your wiring. The TR has barely acceptable wiring & not a heavy duty light switch.
I looked into HID, but these Cibie lights light up the road. I feel like I ain't got lights on the wifes car.
I spent a total of about $400 for lights, relays, a fuse block, & circuit breakers. Dan stands behind his products, I had the high beam relay stick on & sent Dan an email to purchase a new relay & he sent one - no charge.
Read all his website about lights & what's available, I found his website to be very informative.
I think the 100 watt h1 & h4 Cibies ae brighter than HID.

no no no. Sealed beams are fine. I was having second thoughts on spending my $$ in silverstars since I already have cool Blues and think they are dandy. How much better are the silverstars gonna be?

Originally posted by Renthorin
FlyinGn, think twice as in you might not want them because they are sealed or more likely to get them because they are sealed?

Is sealed a good thing or bad? I almost bought them today. Saw the 10.00 rebate for two and that made the price a bit easier to swallow.

I was hoping "you get what you pay for applied here...."

cool blues are not blue at all. VERY white is what they shine.

You Sir, might be a candidate for the Silver Stars then. The light they project has a blue tint because the bulb is actually BLUE!

Guys...lemme' tell ya' what! I just bought the Silverstars, and HOLY CRAP what a difference!! There is just NO comparison to any other bulbs. I had the Sylvania Halogens aand was having trouble seeing in the rain. I went to advanced auto parts, they had the silverstars in stock, high and lo beams. I only bought the lows today, WOW:eek: :eek: Huge difference! The low beams are brighter than my high beams now! The illumination is fantastic! My wife kirked out because she thought I dropped a ton of cash on HID lamps! The sealed beams are what I bought, they have a $10 rebate with them per set, I think. All I can say to someone who wants better night vision.....BUY THEM!!!!!

just my .02!!;)

put the silverstars on my car yesterday. had sylvania xtra visions previously. these are definitely brighter and whiter. well worth the $43.03

part# H4656ST is the low beam. got mine at advance auto. buy one get one half price. paid $26.99 and $13.50 which is approx $20 per bulb