You can type here any text you want

What are the chances of my intake gasket leaking ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotaone

After I got my engine back together I realized that I didn't put
any silicone on the intake gasket around the water ports. I only
put the supplied sealant on the four corners where the intake
and heads meet at the ends of the rubber strips. Neither the
instructions that came with the gasket or either one of my shop
manuals say to put any silicone around the water ports. However,
I have heard guys say that you should do this. Now I'm worried
that my intake might leak. What do you guys think ? I used the
Felpro(blue) one piece gasket, if that makes any difference.

Thanks
James

Is it in and running already? If it's not leaking now, it probably will stay sealed. If you haven't started it already, put water in it, get a pressure checker from Autozone or someplace, and put a few psi pressure in the cooling system. Then check your oil and the floor. ;)

The blue Felpro gaskets are coated and should seal. If it was the old plain metal gasket I'd say not a chance in hell... :eek: Good luck!

Yes, it is in and running and seems to be ok so far. But I'll keep
an eye on the oil for a while. Thanks for the reply KendallF, I feel
a little better now.

James

I know this is an old post but I just did the same thing (I used a ROL intake gasket) and forgot to seal around the water ports. Should I be ok or should I just pull it off and seal them up?

olds443 said:
I know this is an old post but I just did the same thing (I used a ROL intake gasket) and forgot to seal around the water ports. Should I be ok or should I just pull it off and seal them up?

If it is the all metal one I would be concerned.The Felpro is a composite type I think and that is why he is getting away with it(the original poster).You could pressure check it without water and see if it holds steady 20 psi of air.I myself would just bite the bullet and redo it over with the sealer.

olds443 said:
It's the all metal one.

Head is metal, gasket is metal, intake is metal.... its gonna leak like a siff...

Take intake off, buy Blue Felpro intake gasket, rtv the water areas.. assemble..

Is what it is..

Well,Lucky me, I didn't have any leaks. I had replaced the cam and installed the new gasket and forgot the sealant. When I put it all back together I decided to only put water (no antifreeze) for the break in. Well my radiator tuck a dump while I was doing the break in, I did keep a good eye on the temp and my friend misted the rad.
When I drained the oil there wasn't any water in it. I totally forgot the sealant and didn't remember until after the break in.
Well I replaced the intake gasket today and sealed it up well and put in my new radiator. No leaks other than my crossover pipe and at the oil sending unit.
Not bad for my first time doing this.
Thanks you guys.

Back