You can type here any text you want

What are the symptoms of a bad chip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Kyle F

Addicted to Boost
I got a bunch of trouble codes and knock coming out on the turbolink, but not setting off the SES light. I can usually only get it for one frame in Turbolink. Things I know are nto wrong, like the code for water injection, or the code for TPS voltage being low when the tps is showing .9V while acclerating from a stop light.

I have checked all the wiring, but noting is dissconnected. It has a new ECM, so what gives. I have not done all that much to the system.

That sounds like a Turbo-Link problem. Its a common issue for it to throw an off frame out that shows a lot of garbage. As long as subsequent frame are okay its ignorable. On my car the problem was a poor ground for the ALDL port and every time my laptop screen saver kicked in I would get 2-3 bad frames. The car itself was fine. Check things like temperature and MAF values in those frames, are they plausible? I used to get temps spike to -192 for a frame for example.

WEll, now that you mention it, I did get one fram where I got a mph spike to 176mph. Thoug, in the frames whereits kicking out bad data, everything is ok.

Anyways, I am mostly concerned because it is getting horrible gas milage. So, in went the stock chip.

Now I am still getting knock with the boost set to 18PSI and fuel at 45 with the stock chip. Boo Hoo man:confused:

Originally posted by Kyle F
WEll, now that you mention it, I did get one fram where I got a mph spike to 176mph. Thoug, in the frames whereits kicking out bad data, everything is ok.

Anyways, I am mostly concerned because it is getting horrible gas milage. So, in went the stock chip.

Now I am still getting knock with the boost set to 18PSI and fuel at 45 with the stock chip. Boo Hoo man:confused:

Kyle F

I don't know what your problem is with the Thrasher issue.

One thing I know for sure is the Stock TTA Chip has a somewhat strange WOT timing curve. Not much timing in the lower rpms, but does peak approx. 24-25 deg at 4k-4.4k rpm. This of course is to much timing for 93 oct. at 18psi in my opinion. Hence knock.

Most chips out there are in the 18-20 deg range for pump gas to allow that kind of boost.

Joe

WEll, I turned it down to 17. stock settign was 16.5* with 43PSI fuel setting right, so it should all be cool now.

I am mostly concerned with getting over 20mpg on the highway right now.

Workign on that.

I am unsure what the deal is with the thrasher, but I am havinging a suspecion that the turbo spool with the opened up intake may be too quick for the fuel delivery.

I am goign to try to get ahold of Scott Simpson in the next few weeks and see if he has a minute to check things out on my car. However with two rugrats running around, I have a feeling that his apre time is probably very thin.

Back