what converter is this?....

at7we2

just pulled the converter shield off for the first time since I purchased this car. I *thought* it had a restalled D5 in it, but it did seem like it was stalling a lot higher than the re-stalled D5 in my previous GN. The trans. lock-up wasn't working either. Obvioiusly, this is not a D5, but can anyone tell me what it is??.....

Attachments

• DSCN2875.JPG
    DSCN2875.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCN2876.JPG
    DSCN2876.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 249
I've been looking at trans. vendor's websites and my converter looks like it might be a Vigilante based on the size, shape and the shape of the bolt flanges, however it's not painted pink. Could it possibly be an old Precision/Vigilante converter?

:confused:

It could be an old one with the winged brackets on it (1997-1999) could have been rebuilt by some other company afterwards and painted black? If its a real vig. their will be numbers stamped into it, you can call precision and they will give you the history on it..

How does it drive and work in the car do you suspect a problem with it?

It could be an old one with the winged brackets on it (1997-1999) could have been rebuilt by some other company afterwards and painted black? If its a real vig. their will be numbers stamped into it, you can call precision and they will give you the history on it..

How does it drive and work in the car do you suspect a problem with it?

Thanks for the reply. The "winged brackets" you're referring to are exactly the reason I think it may be a Precision converter, although I don't believe that means it's "old" since they look like what's on the current Precision converters. After looking on the internet, Precision seems to be the only company using that shape on the mounting flanges.

It's the black paint that makes me think it may be an older Precision, maybe built before they started painting their converters pink. :confused:

I'll check for any numbers or identification markings tonight.

The converter seems to function perfectly. I believe it stalls at about 3500 rpm, but I haven't really checked to see what it will flash to. If I can't get any info. on it from a vendor, I'll do my best to determine what it stalls at. Either way, I want to replace it with a good lower stall, lock-up converter so I'll probably have it listed on here for sale soon.

The picture on the their site is old, they haven't made that style in years look on other sites that sell them they have legs intead of wings..LOL

No doubt that it's a

Percision Industries Vigilante. Don't know if it's a lock up or not though.

Percision Industries Vigilante. Don't know if it's a lock up or not though.

that's what I thought at first, but 've scratched and rubbed some of the black paint off in several places and there is absolutely NO trace of any pink paint.

One of the local Buick gurus looked at the pictures and said it's probably an OLD Art Carr from back before he sold the company (and name). Apparently, back in the day, Art Carr and Precision both bought that billet front plate from the same third party source. :confused:

That would actually make some sense because the guy I bought the car from swore the transmission was a "full Art Carr".

trying to decide what my next move is since it will be drivien on the street 95% of the time. the converter has good street manners and lightning fast spool up (TE44), but it seems to be a non-lockup so my mileage isn't what it could be.

My picture kinda sucks:

click to enlarge:

But yours sure looks like a repainted version of mine. Mine is an old Vigilante 7 disc.

terryjh6 -

thanks for the post, I believe that settles the question then. My converter is an old Art Carr.

the Buick guru I mentioned earlier said the old Art Carr converters were actually very good. so now I guess I just need to find out why the lockup isn't working and I'll probably keep it. (maybe it's time to go with a larger turbo!!! :biggrin: )

yup. guess that's a definitive answer on the manufacturer. :biggrin:

now I just need to figure out:

1. is it a NLU or a lockup that's not working correctly?
2. actual stall speed

Thanks for the replies!

has the converter ever locked up ? did you try manuel locking it with the ALDL ?

has the converter ever locked up ? did you try manuel locking it with the ALDL ?

Phil,

It's never locked up in the three years that I've owned it. However, you *can* hear the solenoid clicking (from under the car) when you try to manually engage the lock-up. So, from what I understand:

1. it's a non-lockup converter and the trans. builder actually installed the proper non-lockup valve

*OR*

2. it's actually a lockup converter and the lockup clutch is toast.

I'm not sure when the trans. was built although it was supposedly built by the "real" Art Carr which leads me to believe it may have been built a while ago. Assuming that's the case then either #1 or #2 is possible based on my best effort "deductive reasoning". ;) Everything else in the transmission seems to work fine. I'm sure what I really need to do is pull the trans. and visually inspect the converter.

This GN has had all kinds of surprises over the last 3 years, I believe it may have an interesting history. I purchased it from another TB.com member, Chris Rowe. If anyone knows anything about this car, please post up or email me directly. I should probably start a thread asking for information on this car.

Thanks,
Rob

mine on the shelf that looks just like that is a non lock up real Art Carr