You can type here any text you want

What could be causing my oil blow by?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Do you think oil is coming from the dipstick tube? What valve cover breathers and grommets are you using? The gromments need to be open. Some of the gromment have steps (baffled) in them and dont allow enough relief. Post pics of what you have.

Call Tom at Champion he has a fix for this. I bet its the valve covers. Im working on a roller stroker 109 and the first pass we had oil out of the drivers side breather.

Owner called Tom and he is sending something said there is a issue with them. Ill let you know what it is when i see it. Baffle, etc?

How about just sell the Champion valve covers and go with the TA's?? They are a superior design. I do not have baffles in mine and have never had a drop of oil EVER in the catch can.

Craig,

I just got done with Eric's car (xcessiv) and he had the same problem. Here is what happened.

He was fighting a oil issue with the recent three new turbo's by blowing oil down the down pipe, Changed the oil return line-(old one ended up fine) and the turbo was still shooting oil down the down pipe.. He also had a bad oil leak and while tracking it down I was under the car with it running and noticed his dip stick was where the oil was coming from, It was pushed up in the air (out of the block) so we changed out the rubber o-ring and re-fastened it at the top. THEN it pushed the dip stick up out of the tube "AT IDLE" and when he took it for a drive his whole brake system was completely covered with oil. Definitely a big pressure problem!

OK now we can get to the problem that caused it.

He made is own home made catch can system by using those little 90* bend PCV valves that push into the valve covers. He ran a line from the stock PCV valve to a (One way Valve) then it branched off to those valve cover PCV 90's then to the catch can.

What was happening was the stock PCV valve was sticking and causing it not to breath. Eric also took a hammer and a screw driver to those valve cover PCV 90's in an attempt to wedge them open ( I think they got stopped up and then didn't breath). So the entire engine built so much pressure and there was No way for it to release the excess built up pressure and found the easiest path to do so. My guess is that the pressure was pushing against the oil return and not letting it drain back but actually causing it to back up and the turbo ended up pushing it out the exhaust housing.

We replaced the stock PCV valve with a new one, Completely removed the One way valve, Removed those little 90* PCV valve cover thing's and went with regular open valve cover breathers and guess what? The car runs PERFECT and NO OIL in the down pipe!! Before this finding Eric couldn't get up one street before having to come back because oil was everywhere, No it's back to normal... :biggrin:

I'm sure the excessive blow by is caused by the crankcase pressure that is coming from combustion gasses that are escaping past the rings. but if your PCV system and valve cover breathers are not working at all that little bit of blow by pressure will eventually build up and build up untill it finds a place to escape.

It was really weird, I would of never thought that a blocked up PCV system would cause so many pressure problems.

Craig, Look into this for the cause, It's possible...

SW.

Do you think oil is coming from the dipstick tube? What valve cover breathers and grommets are you using? The gromments need to be open. Some of the gromment have steps (baffled) in them and dont allow enough relief. Post pics of what you have.

I spoke with Jack about the check valve being the culprit. He had me send it in and it checked out ok even though when I blow through each end I can hear air passing. During the conversation of his findings we discussed, of course, bad rings, but then Jack asked about the VC grommets and if they were baffled or open. I told him they were baffled and he said "that's your problem, the pressure can't escape quick enough!" I cut out the baffling and I've bought the tall Metco breathers. I haven't driven the car enough or at all to know if it fixes the problem. It is kind of hard to drive it anyhow because it doesn't want to stay running long enough after it warms up (XFI issues)!:rolleyes:

What did you find out about this problem?

One quick question, do our rings move around the piston while in the motor? Or are they going to pretty much set on the exact place where the builder installed them too?

Could it be possible that Stu didnt set the rings at the correct direction and the the gaps in the rings have possibly lined up with each other, creating a void for pressure to leak?

Jeremy, I posted my potential remedy to the blow-by problem in the previous post.
The pistons were NEVER removed, just compression and leakdown tested.

Now we just need to figure out how to keep the DAMN thing running and idle!?!:mad::confused:

Call Tom at Champion he has a fix for this. I bet its the valve covers. Im working on a roller stroker 109 and the first pass we had oil out of the drivers side breather.

Owner called Tom and he is sending something said there is a issue with them. Ill let you know what it is when i see it. Baffle, etc?

Take a pic and post it please.

My guess its a rubber baffle.

Now we just need to figure out how to keep the DAMN thing running and idle!?!:mad::confused:
I have the FIX for that problem and it will fix it for good! You want to know what it is?

Go back to the stock ECM seeing you drive the car daily and accross the country! NO NEED FOR XFI - IMO

At least you will be able to start your car and drive with no problems! ;)

I have the FIX for that problem and it will fix it for good! You want to know what it is?

Go back to the stock ECM seeing you drive the car daily and accross the country! NO NEED FOR XFI - IMO

At least you will be able to start your car and drive with no problems! ;)

Come on now, Scot! What's the fun in that?!?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
That's why I got this one in addition to:

Attachments

• IMG00019-20100215-0755.jpg rev.jpg
    IMG00019-20100215-0755.jpg rev.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 317
Oooh, that looks good.

You need to let me know the next time you get up here so we can take a look and see if something has changed to cause the funky idle and fix it.

What's this Saturday look like for you, John P.???
Oooh, that looks good.

You need to let me know the next time you get up here so we can take a look and see if something has changed to cause the funky idle and fix it.

I had a problem with my setup because I installed some valve cover baffels that the breathers sat in. Oil was blowing out of the dipstick tube on a boost run, hitting the driver side header, and causing a James Bondish smoke screen. I'm probably lucky nothing caught fire. The culpret was those baffels. I couldn't even blow through them so I cut them and all has been fine since.

If you're sure oil is coming out at idle though then you have a serious problem or a leaky valve cover.

If you're sure oil is coming out at idle though then you have a serious problem or a leaky valve cover.

My guess it’s the rings. Good compression with weak ring seal. Increase the distance between the breathers and VC. Try this or this. If using the AN fitting ones you'll need this too.

Back