What could I have screwed up?

I think i tightened the clamp on the throttle body yo up pipe so tight that the throttle blade is sticking shut.

That must be one hell of a clamp... I don't know of a T/B out there that would yield like that!

K.

What method did you use to check for vacuum leaks? Get a can of carb cleaner and gently spritz around all the connections you disturbed with the engine running and listen for changes in rpm. Also spray around any post-mass air connections. Another thing to try is fire it up in the dark and see if a plug wire is arcing

Thanks for the pointers and advice, guys. I'm unable to get back into it until tomorrow night. Plan for then will be to verify valvetrain on driver side first. Crank it & see what happens. If it's still running terribly, then re-check all my vacuum hoses.

What I did was the valve springs, RJC ADPP, and new (from another member, not a vendor) Accufab FPR. If after checking vacuum stuff again it's still running crappy, I'll put the old 237 FPR back on. I don't think the problem is fuel, but I'm not sure. My plugs are OK. My wires are OK. I can't imagine the coil or ign. module magically went bad while I was working on it, but at least I have a known-good coil pack. Anyway, if after the 237 re-swap it's still running crappy, all I have left to return back to where it was is to take off the RJC ADPP. After that, I don't have a clue. Will keep re-posting until hopefully it's figured out.

Could having the boost solenoid unplugged cause this issue??? I have an RJC boost controller and things were OK before. After putting the PS VC back on, I went ahead and pulled the boost solenoid off, but the plug-in is still there, not plugged in to anything.

Plug it back in and dont hook up any hoses to it, i dont claim to know how the circuit.works but the previous owner of my car left it that way when they put the ext wastegate and manual boost controller on, im assuming for a reason. Would be pretty easy to test hahaha

Well - I found the problem. Now i gotta figure out how to get the SOB out. Many, many cuss words have not helped.

Attachments

• image-2105273936.jpg
    image-2105273936.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 117
Praise Jesus and household wiring!! Now i gotta ask the question. Should i just stick it back in there and let it run, or what? Close inspection of the push rod reveals a tiny mar on bottom. Three more towards the top. See pic. Please all comment. Thanks for hangin in there with me guys. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope it's not an engine rebuild train.

Attachments

• image-1978321329.jpg
    image-1978321329.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1349718657.jpg
    image-1349718657.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 72
use a thin pick in the end , magnet wont work as the engine is metal

hold it against another and see if its bent
or roll on a plate glass table top if its not straight youll hear it

Thank you pacecarta. Yep. I got it out thanks to a piece of household wiring i had lying around. i just don't know if i should reuse this pushrod or not. There are some slight scratches on it. You think i'm ok to stick it back in there and fire away??? See pics above.

Edit - it is straight. checked it by rolling as you say already.

Thank you pacecarta. Yep. I got it out thanks to a piece of household wiring i had lying around. i just don't know if i should reuse this pushrod or not. There are some slight scratches on it. You think i'm ok to stick it back in there and fire away??? See pics above.

Edit - it is straight. checked it by rolling as you say already.
If it was mine I would install it just to see if the engine runs correctly. If it does I would get a new push rod if only for peace of mind. Bruce

Well i put it back in. Cranked it and it fired right up a couple hours ago. Mission finally accomplished. I'll never do more than an oil change or plugs in the summer in texas again. I must be getting old. It's HOT!!!!

Thank goodness it lives again.

Thabks to all you guys who offered up advice along the way. I appreciate it.

I for one love reading these multipage tech scenarios.
Since my favorite shows are hiatus, it is almost like watching a season of Breaking Bad tv shows, but about Breaking Buicks.
And I am always breathlessly waiting for the conclusion.
I see the culprit picture.
But, my question is how the heck did the pushrod manage to assume that position?

And it's like I always say - These engines might be finicky, but theyre not fragile.
It's amazing how they can still manage to run, sometimes even decently, with missing pushrods and occasional nuts and bolts clanging around in various passages.