What could I have screwed up?

I don't remember all the vac. lines, but was it possible that you may have one of the check valves reversed?

Rocker shafts are too tight @ 25lb./ft. Back them off and re-tighten to wrist strength using a stubby ratchet and socket. Of course while you're there check the pushrod to rocker and lifter, retainers & locks, etc...

K.

Rocker shafts are too tight @ 25lb./ft. Back them off and re-tighten to wrist strength using a stubby ratchet and socket. Of course while you're there check the pushrod to rocker and lifter, retainers & locks, etc...

K.

Wow - I looked up the torque on them and it said 25. After I torqued them to 25 ft-lbs, I put a 1/4" drive socket on them just to see and I thought they were pretty loose. My 1/4" drive ratchet is a stubby. (Keep your stubby jokes to yourself!!!) Thanks for the input. I'll report back later tonight.

I can't figure out how to quote several different posts within a single post.

After you have written your reply to a quote,simply click the reply icon of another post and write your reply. You can do this as many times as you want,then,when you are done,click Post Reply.

Wow - I looked up the torque on them and it said 25. After I torqued them to 25 ft-lbs, I put a 1/4" drive socket on them just to see and I thought they were pretty loose. My 1/4" drive ratchet is a stubby. (Keep your stubby jokes to yourself!!!) Thanks for the input. I'll report back later tonight.
sometimes you can reach the torque setting against a lifter(s) that have pumped up...sometimes it's necessary to go over them a few times until the lifters bleed back down..

Leaving boost solenoid unplugged will not charge battery. That's according to a post I read somewhere in here. True or fiction?
I would loosen the rockers a bit and see if that makes any difference. Sounds as if there is a pushrod or two that aren't clearanced correctly. Good luck.

Leaving boost solenoid unplugged will not charge battery. That's according to a post I read somewhere in here. True or fiction?
I would loosen the rockers a bit and see if that makes any difference. Sounds as if there is a pushrod or two that aren't clearanced correctly. Good luck.
Fiction.

I think u need to find the screw from the throttle body that u lost ! Was your plenum off when you lost it? Sounds to me like the screw may have fallen into intake and then into combustion chamber. I would pull the plugs and inspect for damage and do a compression check. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses. Finally back in town from work. Should be able to start looking at it again soon.

No chance of screw from tv cable bracket falling in plenum. Absolutely zero. I wasnt even close to having the plenum off the intake at that point.

I'm going to start withplugs and wires, then vc's and push rods, then check the pp stuff, then vac lines again. Keep you posted and thanks again.

You better start with the valvetrain first.

Thanks, but before I go to the trouble of pulling the VC's, I'm going to check the plugs & wires. I don't want to run it any more than necessary until I get this figured out, but if I find a couple of busted plugs or something I should be safe in assuming that's my issue.

Thanks again for the advice!

Finally back into it. PS Vc is off. See pics. The rocker shafts seem tight. Not gorilla tight, just 25# like spec. All push rods appear to be correctly seated in rockers. Note that pushrod / rocker of exhaust of #2, both intake and exhaust on #4, and intake of #6 are able to be slightly wiggled in current state. I am assuming this to be normal since the pushrods are in various stages of openness or closedness on cam. Pulling rocker now to verify keepers s till installed. Any comments welcome.

Attachments

• image-2500263876.jpg
    image-2500263876.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3642062056.jpg
    image-3642062056.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2223652423.jpg
    image-2223652423.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 80
And here we have all keepers on ps firmly in place. Pretty sure this is what it should look like.

I must add that prior to tearing into it tonight, all plugs were pulled and no cracking or damage noted except for some pretty nasty carbon buildup on a few. Presumably related to running rich??? See pic. #1 not so bad but #3 and 5 are worse than id like for them to be. Checked all wires and verified no damage. Going to ohm them out for giggles in a bit. Assume These are ok unless i post up otherwise.

Also need to add that i checked those friggin cacuum lines AGAIN as if it were the first time and there's nothing out of the ordinary. All seem to be in same condition as previous. Its staying like this until wed night. That'll be my next opportunity to get back into it. I may tackle the DS tonight if i have the time. Meanwhile, comments welcome.

Attachments

• image-3436258305.jpg
    image-3436258305.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3546507720.jpg
    image-3546507720.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 80
  • image-458899775.jpg
    image-458899775.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3501399204.jpg
    image-3501399204.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 82
Double check the pushrods to make sure they're "straight", and forget about the 25ft.lbs. spec.! Tighten them like I mentioned, just set the v/c's back on and fire it up. If the noise is gone button it up and ride...

K.

Double check the pushrods to make sure they're "straight", and forget about the 25ft.lbs. spec.! Tighten them like I mentioned, just set the v/c's back on and fire it up. If the noise is gone button it up and ride...

K.

Yeah, I put the PS rocker back on last night without a torque wrench. There's a definite "torque stop" when tightening. Once I felt more than a little resistance, I quit. After seeing how thin the shafts are, I didn't want to overdo it. Thanks for the input. Now that I have an expert opinion on how the pushrods looked before and that they look right, I'll button down the PS VC and get the DS done tomorrow night. Re-fire and see what happens. I'm beginning to think it's vacuum, but not going to chase that until I get the DS re-done or verified. Will post any further findings.

Thanks for the help and input on this. It's taking a lot longer than I would like, but the car takes a back seat to family and work.

I was reading another post while in the waiting room about somebody's up pipe blowing off. I think i may have figured out my issue. I yhink i tightened the clamp on the throttle body yo up pipe so tight that the throttle blade is sticking shut. Wouldnt this give me an iac reading of zero? I also seem to remember that when trying to keep the thing running that it seemed like the throttle was sticking a little bit on tip in. Hope i get the chance to look at it soon. Im ready to be able to drive this thing again

I was reading another post while in the waiting room about somebody's up pipe blowing off. I think i may have figured out my issue. I yhink i tightened the clamp on the throttle body yo up pipe so tight that the throttle blade is sticking shut. Wouldnt this give me an iac reading of zero? I also seem to remember that when trying to keep the thing running that it seemed like the throttle was sticking a little bit on tip in. Hope i get the chance to look at it soon. Im ready to be able to drive this thing again
if the blade was shut all the way, the iac counts would be high because it's trying to let more air in.