You can type here any text you want

What did I just Buy? 231 RWD V-6

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cammerjeff

Hi,

I havent posted here in awile, but I just picked up a 231 V-6 for a nice price, it suposedly came out of a VW based rear engined kit car called a Kalmare? GT looks kinda like a Dino. The questions I have are

1 - does anyone know what kind of bellhousing it has?

2 - I havent seen that type of timing chain cover? And it does not seem to have a harmonic Balancer, just a hub to mount the crank pulleys

3 - Has anyone seen that style flywheel before?

Thanks Jeff

Attachments

• P1070855.jpg
    P1070855.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 408
  • P1070857.jpg
    P1070857.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 393
  • P1070858.jpg
    P1070858.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 400
  • P1070861.jpg
    P1070861.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 399
  • P1070865.jpg
    P1070865.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 401
save the parts.

as some one who is making a swap will want them,
the bellhousing is a custom piece made for the VW tranaxle, if you remove it, a standard buick /olds/ pontiac auto trans will bolt up.
dampener look like typical Buick V6.
Flywheel looks like something modified for VW use, not sure what it was originally.
you might check kit car web site, they would have more info
Kit Car Forums at Kit Car Magazine
Hope that helps,

Its a 75-77 odd fire 90* V-6. You can see the odd spacing on the distributor.

dampener look like typical Buick V6.
Flywheel looks like something modified for VW use, not sure what it was originally.

I would expect the counterweighting to be different on the balancer and flywheel since its odd fire

I don't believe it is on Odd fire engine, but I will get the numbers off the block, and pull the valve covers to see what style heads are on it for sure. I know my 78 Evenfire engine uses the same style dist. cap, looks like an odd fire until you remove it an look at the electrodes in the cap, they make it into an even fire cap with them.

Thanks for the replies, I will post some pic's onthe kit car sites to see if they have any more info.

I don't believe it is on Odd fire engine, but I will get the numbers off the block, and pull the valve covers to see what style heads are on it for sure. I know my 78 Evenfire engine uses the same style dist. cap, looks like an odd fire until you remove it an look at the electrodes in the cap, they make it into an even fire cap with them.

Thanks for the replies, I will post some pic's onthe kit car sites to see if they have any more info.

I thought that the freeze plugs in the ends of the head started with the even fire engines?? :confused:

Back