You can type here any text you want

What do you guys run for wrist pins?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

postal

Peoples champ runner up
I called Diamond twice and talked to two different reps. One recommended thier endurance 9310 pins with .155" walls. The other guy recommended there heavier series H13 pins with 165" walls. What are you guys running?

TIA: Jason

What wall thickness do you use and what HP level are you at?

Jason, I'm not sure Ross gave me a wall thickness on these pins since they are tapered. I'll have to dig out my paperwork. FYI...I weighed one of my old JE with pin and my new Ross with the tapered pin and the Ross were lighter. Around 20 grams if memory serves me right. I was surprised because the Ross was quite a bit thicker on the face of the piston than the JE. From what I'm told the Ross tapered pin is supposed to be stronger without being heavy. Maybe Bill can enlighten us further.. As for hp level the car should put down somewhere north of 700 to the wheels. The only time it has been on a dyno was before the freshen and it put down 528 on 12lbs of boost (had fueling problem). After that was fixed the first three passes out it went 135mph on 21-2lbs of boost at a weight of 3500. Hopefully we'll see what it'll do this year in BG. Scott

Thanks for the input so far. The reason I'm confused is that I talked to two different reps at Diamond and they both recommended different pins. When the "experts" don't agree then the newbe's like me get confused. I need some one to tell me what pins to order for a max of 1000 hp and I'll order them. The tappered wall pins sound good but they tapper from what, X to Y? Whats X and whats Y? just saying they are tappered doesn't help me much.

Could some one please be a little more specific with the pin info. It would really help me out alot. I've never tried to make as high as 1000 HP before, and much less do it with a V6! The general concept stuff I have down. Its the little details like this where I'm lost and need some help.

Originally posted by postal
Thanks for the input so far. The reason I'm confused is that I talked to two different reps at Diamond and they both recommended different pins. When the "experts" don't agree then the newbe's like me get confused. I need some one to tell me what pins to order for a max of 1000 hp and I'll order them. The tappered wall pins sound good but they tapper from what, X to Y? Whats X and whats Y? just saying they are tappered doesn't help me much.

Could some one please be a little more specific with the pin info. It would really help me out alot. I've never tried to make as high as 1000 HP before, and much less do it with a V6! The general concept stuff I have down. Its the little details like this where I'm lost and need some help.

When we order pins from Ross, we ask for tapered tool steel pins, they handle the rest.

Jason, I will try to help you although I do not have the exact numbers you are asking for. Possibly Ross or JE's website would have that information, but I'll try my best to help you. Tapered pins go from a large inside diameter to a small inside diameter starting at each end. Meaning you have basically a little bit thinner pin where the wrist pin sits in the piston and a much thicker pin where the rod rides on the wrist pin. This gives you the best of both worlds. You get a much, much stronger pin for a minor gain in pin weight. The way this works is simple. You have the light portion of the pin with two (2) stressed area's and thus you don't have to have near the strength in these areas (don't get me wrong, they are still more than sufficient in the strength department). And then you have the heavy portion of the pin in the main stressed area (1) point where the rod conects to the piston. As has been stated above several times the tool steel tapered pins are the only way to go. I have a set in a 985 RWHP turbo Supra with no problems as well as a set in a 1400 rwhp Turboed Big block chevy. Just call up Ross or JE and tell them what O.D. pin you need and that you want a tapered tool steel pin for that application and you will be fine. Good luck, Drew

Originally posted by 65vette396
Jason, I will try to help you although I do not have the exact numbers you are asking for. Possibly Ross or JE's website would have that information, but I'll try my best to help you. Tapered pins go from a large inside diameter to a small inside diameter starting at each end. Meaning you have basically a little bit thinner pin where the wrist pin sits in the piston and a much thicker pin where the rod rides on the wrist pin. This gives you the best of both worlds. You get a much, much stronger pin for a minor gain in pin weight. The way this works is simple. You have the light portion of the pin with two (2) stressed area's and thus you don't have to have near the strength in these areas (don't get me wrong, they are still more than sufficient in the strength department). And then you have the heavy portion of the pin in the main stressed area (1) point where the rod conects to the piston. As has been stated above several times the tool steel tapered pins are the only way to go. I have a set in a 985 RWHP turbo Supra with no problems as well as a set in a 1400 rwhp Turboed Big block chevy. Just call up Ross or JE and tell them what O.D. pin you need and that you want a tapered tool steel pin for that application and you will be fine. Good luck, Drew

That should pretty much sum it up for you!

Originally posted by EightSecV6
When we order pins from Ross, we ask for tapered tool steel pins, they handle the rest.

Bill, looks like I got distracted too long while typing my previous post, saying basically what you said. If he won't take your advice about what it takes to make serious HP and live I don't know who he needs to talk to. Drew

I have BBC pins in mine ;) But I also only spin the thing to < 7500 anyway. Not going to set any world records that way, but if it will run mid 9's off the footbrake with a 0 boost launch as is I can live with that for a street car. Plus, ummm, at least the pins aren't going to break anytime soon :D lol

TurboTR

Back