Paypal dispute, what would you do?

Junior Samples

Walk Away
OK,

First off this is about a room for rent, Its all I need, So IM on craigslist and find a sweet deal..or so I thought.

Here is ad

Room for rent $350.00 in quiet country setting. It is a large room with a bed, chair, and desk in it. (we can take out the furniture if you have your own.) Utilities, Direct TV, washer & dryer are furnished. share kitchen & living areas. No pets (we have 2 cats) no smoking inside, partying, or drama. Share a bath with 1 other person. We do ask for references and will do a background check. We are about 15 minutes from Knoxville Center Mall & 25 minutes from downtown located on a 40 acre horse farm off of exit 398 I-40. Room is available end of July.
Debbie

NOW.. please take note of the above line
Share a bath with 1 other person.

I called the lady last weekend 7-10-10 it sounded fantastic, nice lady, the whole nine... ok I give her a 100.00 deposit and told her I would be out the following Sat to meet everyone, at this point its a done deal.

So Scot W, His wife Gina and I go and take a look this past Sat, walk into my so called bedroom, theres no door and the bathroom is in my room and shared by other tenant... which means he walks through my open room at 2am to take a dump in a bathroom thats in my room.

Well we left, I called her back and informed her it wasnt as described and she was very understanding and willing to paypal me my deposit back.. Ok no problem.

Then nothing but crickets.........
2 emails later I filed a dispute with paypal... the following is emails between us and paypal dispute with addition.

--- On Mon, 7/19/10, mike casteel <mcasteel2112@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: from me
To: "Debbie Lundy" <dlundy51>
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 11:19 AM

Debbie,

I feel at this point since you were able to repost the ad yet not have enough time to let me know about my deposit, I have filed a paypal dispute.

Just like the current ad, the part about the communal bathroom is conveniently left out.
The day out at your house, I was kind enough and mature enough to NOT call you out on the misrepresentation of the accommodations, instead I politely left, went back and called you, you at that point agreed to refund the money, which is what you should do.

I emailed you and let you know that if there was an issue with getting the money back to me, just let me know and stay in touch.. that was all I asked for.

I await your response

Mike

=========================================================================================================================

Mike,
I will refund $50.00 of your deposit. We took the room off Criagslist and had 2 other people that wanted the room. They have since found a room that is why it was reposted. I have to
transfer money tomorrow and will do paypal if you want $50.00 back. I have talked to several people and they no refund my husband I decided to do a refund of $50.00
Debbie

Debbie & Coy Lundy

========================================================================================================================

Subject: Re: from me
To: "mike casteel" <mcasteel2112@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 12:59 PM

You wrote:
I will refund $50.00 of your deposit. We took the room off Criagslist and had 2 other people that wanted the room. They have since found a room that is why it was reposted.

I wanted the room as well... Untill I seen it, If two other people wanted the room then why did they not give you money down when they came and looked at it

You misrepresented the room Debbie plain and simple. there is no grey area of he said she said, had you just came out and told me over the phone that the other tenant would have to walk through my room to take a dump, I would have politely passed on this too good to be true while over the phone.

I guess from now on when I see an ad that states

no smoking inside, partying, or drama. Share a bath with 1 other person. We do ask for references

What I should ask is if the bathroom is really in my room and other people get to walk through my room to use the bathroom?

Ive got it on print, ive got it on screen capture, what you have on the ad via craigs list.... you tell me thats not misrepresentation? then you say oh well we had a guy last week that really wanted it and mike screwed us? only because we lied to him... strike that, we just left out one big important detail is all.

UM NO...
Mrs Lundy, that would never hold up in court, Do the right thing and give me back my money..

ALL of it

Thank you

Michael Casteel

PAYPAL CLAIM ===========================================================================================================

From Buyer - michael casteel

7/19/2010 08:12 PDT

This was a deposit for an ad on a room for rent, I have a copy of the ad that states a shared bathroom.

What was NOT told to me was the bathroom was in my room and the other tenant had to walk through my room to get to the bathroom, there was also no door to the bedroom.

I am 90 miles away from the location, I made a verbal agreement over the phone and sent her 100 dollar deposit informing her I would be out the following Sat to look at the place... Not as described at ALL, I left then called her back to let her know it would not work for me, she was very kind and understanding, even telling me she would go ahead and refund my deposit, this was Sat 8-17-10

I have not hear a word since but within 5 mins the ad was reposted.

all I asked for was an email letting me know a timeline, if there would be issues getting the money back to me but not even a return email.

It was a total misrepresentation, When we talked on the phone I asked if there was wireless there, she said "well yes my notebook has wireless" OK I get there and her NETbook has a wireless card. but thats really a non issue compared to the communal bathroom.

Michael Casteel

PAYPAL ADDITION ON DISPUTE===============================================================================================

I have been informed that 50.00 would be refunded, this is not acceptable, She states she has talked to several people, Debbie, you are getting very bad advice due to your not being very forth coming in explaining what happened, to your friends... Please remember I have complete description from craigs list and it states " Shared bathroom".. That means I have my own bedroom, I am able to leave my own bedroom, walk out into a hallway and enter the "SHARED" bathroom.. providing no on is in there.

Next I will file a claim=================================================================================================

With all that being said... whats anyones input if anything?

Mike

If nothing else get your $50 back and be glad you found out they are not honest BEFORE you moved your stuff in... Good luck with pay pal though, I am interested in how it turns out.

If nothing else get your $50 back and be glad you found out they are not honest BEFORE you moved your stuff in... Good luck with pay pal though, I am interested in how it turns out.

yeah just wondering if I should proceed with claim from dispute and roll the dice or just take the 50 and chaulk it up as learning experience?

Take the $50 in person and drive over her lawn as you leave...

or take bobo the pig home with me and make bacon out of it

Attachments

• 11_n.jpg
    11_n.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 167
I would take the $50 as partial payment towards the $100, and then just file a claim for the other $50, this way at least you got something out of it. I would just try to make it clear that the $50 was partial payment and not full refund amount.

I use Paypal a lot an it really sucks.. I have been lucky so far with no problems BUT I am sure sooner or later it will bite me in the ass. :eek: I hear horror stories all the time BUT in your case your the "Buyer" .. Usually they side with YOU !! Hell bought a big dog crate for the new dog on Ebay. Paid right away. Got a messgae from the seller asking if I would leave feedback for them SO PAYPAL WOULD RELEASE MY $$$$$ TO THEM !!!
I WOULD SEE WHAT PAYPAL SAID BEFORE I ACCEPTED $50..

GOOD LUCK

I would take the $50 as partial payment towards the $100, and then just file a claim for the other $50, this way at least you got something out of it. I would just try to make it clear that the $50 was partial payment and not full refund amount.

Mike, This plan seems like the best route.

As apposed to the 4 iron........:biggrin:

On second thought, move in......:eek:
Get you a casket to sleep in and hang up a few chickens, some goth face paint, do a few voodoo
rituals and they may be a little more receptive to returning your $$$$....:biggrin:

take the 50, get on with life...... (lesson learned)

Karma will take care of the rest.

B

I'm with Bob, I would probably take the 50 and chaulk the rest up to a learning experience.

Take the $50 as partial payment, see what paypal says, and then if they don't help go to small claims court. Also see if your county has any kind of landlord-tenant ombudsman to resolve disputes - if so, go to them instead of court. Or just forget the second $50 since that's about what driving back over there would cost :).