You can type here any text you want

What engine am I restoring?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jimmytu23

I picked up a free engine from my coworker since I have been really interested in restoring an engine. I don't have much clue as to what engine it is or what car it came from (my coworker said it was in a Grand National the very first year that the Grand National came out, but I'm not sure that is accurate).
This is basically everything I know about the engine:
*Block Casting Number: 25529898
*Head Casting Number: 25527515
*V6, FWD, 3.8L, 231 cubic inches
*Year: 86-88
**Following this message I have attached some images as well as some info I found on the engine.
I was thinking it is some sort of LD5 / LC2 engine, maybe a LC2 turbo charged engine in the 87 Buick Regal Grand National, 87. Now I think it may be a 3800 (are there specific types of 3800's?).
I must have googled and researched this for a couple of weeks to no avail, so if anyone has any idea on what engine this is, that would be amazing. I'm hoping to find out the exact model number of this engine and maybe get a parts manual for it.
Thank you.
-Jimmy
6esJXI2h.jpg
ZxqauWVh.jpg
Eekxunwh.jpg
TmmBDrZh.jpg
yyvsl6d.jpg

It's definitely not an 87'. The '87 block casting last three digits are 109, the heads end in 8445. I'm assuming if he said first year, it's got a crossover, then either '82 or '84.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Definately a front driver 3800 engine. Now, with that said, there's always a slim possibility it could have come out of a LeSabre Grand National. They were front wheel drive normally aspirated, and I believe 3800.

Dave, not a 3800 engine.......fwd, yes!

This is an offcenter design 3.8 (231) 1986-1988 Vin B or Vin 3 engine. No balance shaft in this design.
If equipped with roller lifters then VIN 3 (either 86, 87 or 88)
If flat tappet then VIN B (86 only)

During my time at Buick Motor Division, I wrote the Service Manual for this engine family

Sorry to get off topic here but....David, what exactly is the balance shafts purpose? I may be rebuilding my 3800 SC soon and hear about omitting them.

Looks like an 86/87 Lesabre. Take a look at the heads and see if they have adjustable rockers and the outer edge of the heads by the head bolts will have a large flat area different from the GN 8445 heads. BTW they should be the same heads used on the turbo TA.

Frank,
The balance shafts are there to smooth out vibrations that cannot be avoided on a 90 degree V6 engine. I have deleted the shafts on 3800's in SC engines with no ill effects.

looks like a standard issue late 80's fwd 3.8... nothing special, but the price was right...

stuff it in a Cavalier with a 5 speed...

Look at front cover pics. This engine uses a cam sensor
Both 3.0 and 3.3 don't use cam position sensors. 3.0 and 3.3 used dual signal crank sensors. Both were mfi
Rather than SFI

Back