You can type here any text you want

What fuel pump should I buy?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BuickMike

Money pit
It looks like my old fuel pump is not handling my combo.

I was thinking about a Walbro 340, but what would happen if I went bigger?

A local shop has a Walbro 394 which can push like 320GPH with a maximum maintained pressure of 110psi. The 340 is 270GPH with a max of 70psi.

Is this other pump overkill?

Well, I just pulled the tank and discovered 2 things. My fuel pump is a Red Armstrong XP (about 5 years old) and the fuel line connected to it in the tank was deteriorated and leaking. I'll just replace the fuel line and stay with what I've got for now.

:D I talked to Red a few days ago about his pump and according to him, his pump has mods. that most people are not aware of and that is why you will see in his ad "will outperform any other in tank pump, period" and after talking to him "I" believe it.:eek: :cool:

HUM

I wonder why he grinds off the Walbro 340 name on all his pumps... If he just left walbro on there an then SAID its a walbro with mods i could then understand... But the price difference between his undercover 340 an say any other 340 is not worth it.. You can get a 340 an one hell of a hot wire kit from racetronix noe for $140 plus shipping. an his pump is more then that by its self.. Not hard to see which one is the better deal. I've seen a single 340 hot wired go 10.85 , could his be that much better compared to the price difference.. NO!!!!!!

The most bad ass intank pump is the APEXi N1. It is around $400 though. After that, the stock Nissan 300zx/Skyline GTR pump is the 2nd best.

I saw the graphs on the flow characteristics of those pumps and they WELL outperform the Walbros.

I sure as heck would not get one of them though. 2 Walbros are more than adaquate, and for the price, you can not beat them!!

most bad ass intank pump is the APEXi N1. It is

Actually under certain pressure and voltage combinations, the 340 will outdo the APEXi. Besides, it's a different inlet (sock), outlet and wiring configuration not to mention it is larger diameter. So it won't just drop in.

:eek: Per Red and forgive me If I don't get it all or get it right on: ONE: the motor wire ( i.e. from another motor that Walbro makes) is slightly thicker (draws more voltage but puts out more up top) TWO: the top of the pump has been modified for better flow. THREE: adds an extra seal to further prevent internal leakage which Walbro think's is not needed. That is what I can remember from my conversation with Red about his pump.:) :D :eek:

A walboro pump with a hotwire kit from Racetronix should work very well. They are only $140 from them with the Walboro pump. Their wiring harnesses are all soldered and done really well. A lot of people say the stock GN pump can barely handle a stock GN. I was very pleased with my fuel pump kit anyways. Everyone will tell you what they like and dis-like. The best thing to do is do your homework and make the decision yourself. There was a fuel pump test in this months super street magazine, they tested the Walboro to be one of the best out of a load of pumps.

Have you ever noticed that the guys stuck with the 340 are the ones who whine about the XP+???

:D

Considering Walbro pumps are crimped / sealed from the factory and can not be opened without destroying them I would be curious as to what external modifications would be done to a XP pump to quantify the price / performance difference.

Apart from modifying the outlet and the pressure bypass and / or running some performance / break-in tests I can't imagine anything else. Perhaps we should acquire a few and run some tests to see what the XP deal is all about? :confused:

Flame suit on >click<

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

fuel pumps

Hi,
Everyone knows the Walbro 340 is the standard to beat, but some of the Japanese numbers are pretty wild, too. I pulled a unit out of a'92 Nissan Stanza which was amazing. I use it as a fuel transfer device, and it'll drain a 20 gallon tank in about 6 minutes, tremendous volume. When MY Walbro gets old, maybe I'll put her up to the test......
Dale

Re: fuel pumps

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
Hi,
Everyone knows the Walbro 340 is the standard to beat, but some of the Japanese numbers are pretty wild, too. I pulled a unit out of a'92 Nissan Stanza which was amazing. I use it as a fuel transfer device, and it'll drain a 20 gallon tank in about 6 minutes, tremendous volume. When MY Walbro gets old, maybe I'll put her up to the test......
Dale

That pump won't come close to a Walbro 340. Any FI pump flows amazing when it is not running up against any pressure.

The April '04 issue of Turbo magazine has a good article on pump flow numbers with testing done by RC.

Either way you can't miss. For me Red's a quality guy willing to help with any other issues/questions etc. and that its worth spending the few extra bucks! Just my .02!;)

Back