You can type here any text you want

What fuel pump should I buy?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Originally posted by vader t
Either way you can't miss. For me Red's a quality guy willing to help with any other issues/questions etc. and that its worth spending the few extra bucks! Just my .02!;)

I am sure the same can be said for most vendors on TB.com :)

Racetronix...

hey dont mean to steal you thread here but i have a question about the walbro pump. I bought your kit about 3 weeks ago and started to install it today. When i was rigging up the pump in the hangar I had to pull the rubber hose back off of the outlet on the pump. The problem was there was this nipple on the end of it and when i pulled it back out the nipple stayed in there. Well i just pushed the hose back on as far as it would go an clamped it good. My question is do you think that this will affect anything or should i pull it all back out before i put the tank back on?

The nipple is used to keep the checkvalve in the pump's outlet stem. If it is not pressed back on properly the nipple and checkvale could become lodged somewhere and become a restriction. If the checkvalve is not in place the lines will not hold pressure when the pump is shut off which will make for longer crank-to-run times.

Originally posted by BuickMike
It looks like my old fuel pump is not handling my combo.

I was thinking about a Walbro 340, but what would happen if I went bigger?

A local shop has a Walbro 394 which can push like 320GPH with a maximum maintained pressure of 110psi. The 340 is 270GPH with a max of 70psi.

Is this other pump overkill?

Where did you get these specs?

These were given to me by the guy that I called about the fuel pump. They're not exact. Anyways, after I replaced the hose in the tank my fuel pressure problems went away.

GSL394 is an INLINE pump NOT an Intank pump. It is not the biggest inline unit, the GSL392 is the biggest one. It is the same pump as the 340 family pumps but has no overpressure valve to open and bypass fuel back into the tank. That is where the extra flow/pressure comes from. We have them in stock, they are on our web page. They are NOT recommended for intank use and are unsafe in that appplication according to Walbro.
Mike Licht

If someone wants to send me a brand new XP+ I will be happy to pay for the pump and send it to RC for unbiased flow testing and then to Walbro for evaluation at my expense. I have had MANY conversations with the head Walbro engineeers and they ASSSURE me that there is no other pump in thier line that is bigger and there are no mods that will greatly improve the flow. They have tried them all. I accept their word as the experts. I would also encourage you folks to look at the new turbo magizine pump test where the Walbro beat out all other pumps in testing including some of the Jap units. I can get the Apexi pump if someone wants to spend money :)

Originally posted by Mike Licht
GSL394 is an INLINE pump NOT an Intank pump. It is not the biggest inline unit, the GSL392 is the biggest one. It is the same pump as the 340 family pumps but has no overpressure valve to open and bypass fuel back into the tank. That is where the extra flow/pressure comes from. We have them in stock, they are on our web page. They are NOT recommended for intank use and are unsafe in that appplication according to Walbro.
Mike Licht

If someone wants to send me a brand new XP+ I will be happy to pay for the pump and send it to RC for unbiased flow testing and then to Walbro for evaluation at my expense. I have had MANY conversations with the head Walbro engineeers and they ASSSURE me that there is no other pump in thier line that is bigger and there are no mods that will greatly improve the flow. They have tried them all. I accept their word as the experts. I would also encourage you folks to look at the new turbo magizine pump test where the Walbro beat out all other pumps in testing including some of the Jap units. I can get the Apexi pump if someone wants to spend money :)

Actually the GSL392 does have an integral pressure bypass valve but it operates at a much higher pressure than any of the other pumps in Walbro's lineup (in the 120PSI range). The GSL392 and GSS34X series all have the fastest turning armature and largest gear set that Walbro makes. They do not have any plans to develop or release a 'hotter' pump at this time or in the near future.

I have read the test in Turbo magazine by RC and it is quite informative. I did see some setup issues with RC's flow bench that I did not care for but since all the pumps tested were under the same conditions it was a fair comparison. I have some digital flow meters here which are accurate to within +/-1% and a repeatability of 0.1% which I will use to evaluate the XP pumps once they show up.

The check-valve assemblies in the Walbro pumps are a large restriction but they are a required feature in most cars such as the GN.

OK Guys!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line is the fact that the 340 is the best pump for the money!!!!! BAR NONE...... An is the XP was even a smidge better, it would not be worht t he difference in price an performance.... Mike says theres a new model out to replace the 340 that i read somewhere that flows as much but hook up i believe is a little different on top.. Soo maybe now is the time to get the bad 340 whether you need one now or not...!!!!!

Re: OK Guys!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by RUQWKNF27
Bottom line is the fact that the 340 is the best pump for the money!!!!! BAR NONE...... An is the XP was even a smidge better, it would not be worht t he difference in price an performance.... Mike says theres a new model out to replace the 340 that i read somewhere that flows as much but hook up i believe is a little different on top.. Soo maybe now is the time to get the bad 340 whether you need one now or not...!!!!!

The new pump from Walbro is P/N F20000169 with install kit 400-1016. It is the same pump as all the other GSS34x pumps with a new remolded plastic inlet which is offset instead of centered like the GSS340M. This new plastic inlet on the bottom of the pump means that Walbro will not have to manually machine the bottom of the pumps to fit the GM style filter socks. Just another part to have to inventory on the shelf which serves a redundant purpose IMO.

Another note worth mentioning is that as of March 01/04 Walbro will no longer offer warranty on any high-performance pumps. This policy change took place due to a high return rate on pumps for which 98% proved to be not defective. (Thanks to 'no questions asked' dealers like BBK + Summit Racing for this one). The balance of which were damaged due to contamination, being run dry etc. This policy change effects all pumps currently in use. To add insult to injury Walbro has increased the WD pricing by 3% as of March 0/04 in order to help offset increased labor costs at TI due to a wage increase and the desire to keep manufacturing in the U.S.A. vs. Mexico.

There is more information that I will post on this subject in the next couple days. Racetronix policy at this point is that we will honor all warranty claims as usual and continue to offer a one year warranty on all product sold directly and through our dealers.

Originally posted by 87GN_70GS
Actually under certain pressure and voltage combinations, the 340 will outdo the APEXi. Besides, it's a different inlet (sock), outlet and wiring configuration not to mention it is larger diameter. So it won't just drop in.

This is not true. Russ at RC Engineering showed me the curves for the 340, the 307, the APEXi N1 and the Nissan 300zx pumps. The N1 outflows the 340 at all voltages and all pressures by a LARGE margin. 20% more at most points. Even more at the lower pressures.

The configuration is nothing like the Walbro 340 style.

And it is WAY too expensive to justify the flow.

Dual pumper just can not be beat!!:)

Jack, I agree with your assessment of the RC test. I am very interested in seeing the results of the XP flow test. Please forward me a copy when you are done. I would trust your results.
We will also offer the one year warranty as well. It is the right thing to do. Lots of bad info out there we need to clear the air.
Mike Licht

This is not true. Russ at RC Engineering showed me the curves for the 340, the 307, the APEXi N1 and the Nissan 300zx pumps. The N1 outflows the 340 at all voltages and all pressures by a LARGE margin. 20% more at most points. Even more at the lower pressures

My bad, you are right. I was confusing this with another conversation I was having concurrently. I had the 340 and the Denso 195130-1020 transposed, with is a much cheaper ($180 vs $400) alternative to the A'PEXi 404-A011 and (meant to say) outflows the 340 under certain conditions. The 195130-1020 is a Supra TT pump and is not in the stock GN configuration. However, at 13.5v, the Denso does outflow the 340 below 65 psi. Above 65 psi, it's the opposite story, which says to me that with a mod to the pressure relief of the -1020, you might have more flow than the 340. You still have the problem of if not just dropping into the stock hanger. Here's a link to a lot of fuel pump flow curves: http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

It looks like my old fuel pump is not handling my combo.

I was thinking about a Walbro 340, but what would happen if I went bigger?

A local shop has a Walbro 394 which can push like 320GPH with a maximum maintained pressure of 110psi. The 340 is 270GPH with a max of 70psi.

Is this other pump overkill?

Dont you mean Lph???

320 lph=84 gph
270 lph=71 gph
;)

340 Walbro = XP Plus ;) They are the same pump.

Tarey D.
No they are not. Red also sells a regulator that looks just like the one Kirban sells and is manufactured by the same people,but it too is not the same.

:eek: Per Red and forgive me If I don't get it all or get it right on: ONE: the motor wire ( i.e. from another motor that Walbro makes) is slightly thicker (draws more voltage but puts out more up top) TWO: the top of the pump has been modified for better flow. THREE: adds an extra seal to further prevent internal leakage which Walbro think's is not needed. That is what I can remember from my conversation with Red about his pump.:) :D :eek:
In short Walbro manufactures these pumps to Red's specs. Racetronix repeatedly questions what Red could possibly do to a factory sealed pump. The answer is nothing. The modifications are done to the pump (per Red's request) during the manufacturing process.

Either way you can't miss. For me Red's a quality guy willing to help with any other issues/questions etc. and that its worth spending the few extra bucks! Just my .02!;)
He'll give you advice freely about anything relating to these cars. He doesn't give you guesses. He gives you his findings through research and development. He'll tell you everything he knows without you purchasing anything from him.

In short Walbro manufactures these pumps to Red's specs. Racetronix repeatedly questions what Red could possibly do to a factory sealed pump. The answer is nothing. The modifications are done to the pump (per Red's request) during the manufacturing process.

We asked Walbro about this years ago and THEY said it was bunk. Red would never buy enough pumps to justify Walbro setting up a custom production run. I'll bet we sell 100 or more pumps for every one that Red sells.

Either way who cares. With the wide selection of pumps out there now the XP is nothing special. Walbro 386, 430 LPH pumps, DW, AM and Racetronix RXP340s.

Back