what gear for my HenryJ

Henry Albert

The gear out of the 80 turbo Regal was 273 ?? For a bit of extra off line performance what would you guys recommend. My first thought was a 342 that I have from an S10. Thanks, Henry.

If you don't have an overdrive transmission, that would be a good gear to run. I run 3.80's in my Buick V6 powered Toyota truck with a Gear Vendors overdrive and 26" tires and it's OK on the highway. The diameter of the rear tires makes a difference when figuring out what gear to run. The stall speed of the converter can affect the cruise rpm also. Gear it too high with a loose converter and it will always be slipping some. I went from 3.25 to the 3.80's, and acceleration was a lot better, but then I needed the overdrive to drive it on the highway. It's always a compromise between street, strip, and highway.

Thanks, I am keeping the turbo 350 for now, but if I come across a 200R4 I might go that root, which would allow me to go up to a 373+. I don't have the tires specked out yet so still many things up in the air.

Figure out the tire size first and then you can figure out the RPM's you want to run. If staying about 2500 then you might look at a 3.08 or 3.23 gear.