You can type here any text you want

What is a good size fuel line to run?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tyson

I am in the middle of restoring the chassis for my 87 GN. I am going to run all new fuel lines while I'm at it. I want to run new braided stainless lines. What is a good size to run? Assume I am going to keep upgrading power!! I have a ta 49, modified powerstroke i/c, inj. etc. right now Thanks,Tyson

fuel line,

-8 and ur done. I would say that will take u into the high 9s with the right pump.

A -6AN (@60psi) will go WAY faster than 9.90. The stock fuel lines have gone 9.90's. They are actually a few thousanths bigger than 1/4". The stock fuel lines neck down to .257" at every connection fitting (filter, frame rail intersect, and fuel rail.) -8AN is VERY big on EFI. You can make OVER 700 hp. on alcohol with -6AN. That is a methanol ONLY car. Methanol takes 45%-55% more fuel than gasoline to make the same power at high specific gravity. Nothing wrong with -8AN, ('cept cost and weight) but it is WAY over-kill for most combinations.

Just a thought, if you would like keep it looking almost stock appearing. I'm not sure of the line sizes, but I have heard of people using the stock feed line as the return and running a new larger feed.

if it were me I would buy a set of new stainless feed lines and use them as the return, and then bend a new larger (can't give you a size here, but bigger than the original feed) hard line that runs exactly where the original return went. Should give you a real clean install yet look as neat as the factory did it.

You may want to check out this recent post on some of the troubles people have had with braided lines. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/239290-aeroquip-socketless-opinions.html

I would just keep the stock feed line and make the return line the same size as the feed.. :cool:

ALLLL right! after reading about the problems with the braided lines, I think I will go with same size hard lines as the current feed line,I will more then likely go with S.S. That was my debate anyways. Thanks much!!!!!,Tyson

After much research, I keep seeing suggestions to buy a larger feed line, then use the stock fuel feed line as the return. Is the fuel feed line essentially moved over to the passenger side using a bigger braided hose -6, then what used to be the original feed line remains on the drivers side but functions as the return? I'm trying to envision the layout.

After much research, I keep seeing suggestions to buy a larger feed line, then use the stock fuel feed line as the return. Is the fuel feed line essentially moved over to the passenger side using a bigger braided hose -6, then what used to be the original feed line remains on the drivers side but functions as the return? I'm trying to envision the layout.

What we have done on many 9 sec. cars is to run a -8 line from the tank via the pump to the engine. Our preference is to use a 1/2" metal line which is installed ["pushed"] along side the current 3/8" feed line when removing the stock fuel filter. It can exit from the frame next to the supply line in the engine compartment.

From there braided line is used to and from the engine, as well as connecting to the fuel tank. We make a fitting to mate the 3/8" stock feed line into the -6 return line which comes from the fuel regulator.

We have seen too many issues with braided fuel lines over the years, and do not want to replace them running through the frame, especially where you cannot observe and check them.

Any negative effects with the Aeroquip push-loc hose?. I am running my system with that with a walbro gsl392. I know -8 is overkill, but I want to run e85 later in the future.

is push-loc hose rated for the pressures that an efi system is going to run at?
if you need new lines, i'd just get some stainless steel replacement lines from some place like inline tube and not mess around with all that braided stuff.

Back