You can type here any text you want

What is the best 18" DR

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

G NASTY

I just bought a set of 18's what is my best option for drag radials. I also have 17" rims will the extra inch be a huge difference in launch? I know it won't hook like my 15" Mickey t's but I went rear disc and have to upgrade rim size.

I'm running 18" Boss 338 wheels, 9.5 wide, 4.75 bs with 285/35/18 nitto 555r drag radials (26" tall). Car was just dynoed at 456 to wheels, tires hook great on street. Havent had to track so its only seat of pants. Tires drive awesome, no complaints cruising, feel like regular radials. Tires fit with 3/8" plus clearance to frame, no wheel lip issue (just to note I have a rear disc conversion). Big plus is they are rated for over 10k wear. They come in 40 series but my check had them hitting frame.
Nitto Tire NT555R Specs and Sizes

Thanks for the info. That's the tire size I plan on. I was looking at the 555r and the new one the nt-05r. I'm curious how they will hold down that much power at the track especially when building boost at the line.

There was a thread a while ago about the nt-05r and I can't recall who was using them but he liked them. I've been looking at the toyo dr's

How about some 265/40-18 Mickey Thompson ET Radials?

et_street_radial_b.jpg

I've been looking at this also..however the MT's are 26.5 tall and the Nitto's are 26" tall. I plan on using these at the track and wanted something closer to 28" - is that out there for an 18" wheel at all or am I going to have to go to a 15" wheel to get something taller? I have 18x8 Torqlites on all 4 corners.

Look into the Nitto 555R in the 285/40/18, they are over 27" tall. I also had my rims prior to tires and I mocked them up on car. I took a piece of pink insulation board and cut a cross section of the tire dimension and mounted it to the rim (duct tape) and installed it on the car. I then fully rotated the rim and checked for all clearances. Make sure to have your suspension loaded (jack under axle on test side) and car level, also do both sides as most are slightly offset to the left or right....

Doubt many on here are concerned with the twisties but if you want a great hooking tire that is also good in the corners look into the Toyo R888s. I have them on my cobra that puts 600 to the ground and they work great.

Nitto NT01 is also a road racing tire, but they are very sticky. My C5 Z06 can't spin them on the street easily and they handle awesome! Take a look at the M&H drag radials as well. I run 275 50 17 DR's which are 28" tall, on my TR.

I have 18x8 wheels with Sumitomo HTRZ2 285/40s out back, fitment is fine, no bulging or anything strange. The M&H 275/45 drag radial calls for a 10" wide wheel. Is there any reason this tire would not fit just as well as what I already have. Best price I've found so far is $277 on the race master and $299 on the 555r. Anyone know where to get a better deal?

Back