What is the GN's front/rear weight distribution?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
I am searching on the net... for the f/r weight distribution. One site has it listed at 55/45 front/rear respectively. Is there anybody on here that has done their car?

It's pretty easy to measure. Just pull half way onto the track scale, take a reading and then pull all the way on.

If you do it, unless you have major weight reduction in front, its going to be between 57/43 and 54/46 front.

A 200lb driver moves the distribution back 1% vs. an empty car. Full tank of gas and a spare make similar changes.

Our Weight distribution is actually pretty good.

55.1 44.9 per this sheet

Attachments

• gnspec2.jpg
    gnspec2.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 230
Racer X said:
This may help...

Click here

Cool. I plan on weighing mine on 4 scales soon. If my math is correct... your f/r weight distribution is 57.03%/42.03% w/o driver and 57.3%/42.7% w/driver. The fact that your weight distribution moved back slightly w/driver indicates the cg of your car is slightly behind the driver........ I wouldn't have guessed that.....

Assuming 108.1" wheelbase.... your center of gravity is about 61.65" in front of the rear axle.....w/o driver.

COOL! Not sure what I am going to do with the numbers yet.... at some point I am going to move my instant center..... but I don't know how much back toward the CG yet..... or if I will raise it or lower it...... :confused: Gotta do some more reading....

Looking at what I have.... my current instant center is about 5-3/4" in front of the front wheel centerline at a height of 13.4". this makes for an Antisquat value of 57.8%. This will make the car squat hard under acceleration. I need to get my AS value up to 100% so the back end stays level.... no squat or rise during acceleration. (I think this is what I want)

If I move the lower control arm rear point down about 1-1/4" this will move my instant center to 72.87" or about 35.23" behind front wheel centerline... and about 14.83" off the ground. This makes for an antisquat value of 100% with the IC falling in front of the CG. This should tend to make the nose of the car raise.... but the rear end will tend to stay level on take-off. I might try and fab me up some brackets in the next week or two......

Any of this make sense?

Blazer406 said:
......Any of this make sense?...........

Completely!! Let me dig up my numbers and I'll post. I've fabbed up a crude watts link and a set of "truck arm" control arms using chromoly tubing and johnny joints to produce the same effect. I'm deleting the UCA's.

To use words FBSideoiler427 used .............As Ted Knight said - "Wehllllllll, We're waiting"......... :eek:

FBSideoiler427 what did your digging find?

Bringing this WAAAAY back from the dead, but would it actually be beneficial to leave the rear bumper support steel, while installing an aluminum front, to even up the weight distribution? I'd imagine it would help better with traction as well?

Bringing this WAAAAY back from the dead, but would it actually be beneficial to leave the rear bumper support steel, while installing an aluminum front, to even up the weight distribution? I'd imagine it would help better with traction as well?
Yes! Transferring as much weight to the rear of the car will all help but make sure you watch the scales after each thing moved so you know where it's at...

The weight distribution before the BAER brakes and the new Carbon fiber up grades is 56.8% / 43.1%..... This I know has changed since then due to the 2012 changes which we are yet to scale..

SW.

A heavier Rear bumper helps weight transfer and traction, but won't help handling or make your car faster.

If a 50/50 weight distrubution can be achieved by adding 200 lbs to the rear bumper, the 200 lb lighter car with the 57/43 distribution will be faster around a track and handle better even though the distrubution is non ideal.

With a 25lb difference, I doubt you'd notice, but 25lbs here and 25lbs there eventually adds up.