You can type here any text you want

What is the hottest temp you have seen without blowing H/G or spinning a bearing??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

robzombie

I overheated my engine last week and have been driving it since with no ill effects.

I forgot to put the rad cap back on after checking the coolant and drove it 20 miles before I noticed the steam coming from under the hood.

Oil pressure is still the same and coolant temps are the same as before overheating.

I will say that this was the hottest I've ever seen any motor get and live.

I'm wondering if these motors can take the heat so to speak or if I got real lucky??

It runs like brand new not like day two !!!!

RZ

291 is hot, but not overly hot to ruin a motor. It probably looked as though it was much hotter due to the rad cap not being on. The pressure in the system helps to keep the coolant from boiling, and not having the rad cap on allowed it to boil at a lower temp. I've seen motors get a lot hotter and still survive. I'd be lying if I said you didn't take a little life out of the motor, but there's a good chance that everything is ok.

If it helps, it's physically impossible for water to be 291 in liquid form without being pressurized. I'd place my money on a false reading from having steam hit the temp sender when your coolant level dropped below the level of the sending unit.

i hit 250 on the ancient Auto Meter mechanical gauge at the track one time when i did back-to-back runs on a friday night "grudge race" night at a 1/8 mile track.. i had the electric fan hooked to a toggle under the dash and must have bumped it with my knee or something and i didn't look at the gauge between runs for some reason.. the engine didn't show any ill effects, but the rear sprag in the trans blew out on the next run about a half hour later..

On my N/A engine I had just done some work and took it for a test blast. I went one way and got on it enough to spin the tires. Apparently the belt came off and I didn't notice. Turned around and was cruizing back. Looked at the Autometer mechanical gage and the needle was straight down! I remember looking at the gage thinking it had to be wrong. I then quickly looked at the engine (hood was off) just in time to see the upper hose come apart. It still runs well but may use a tad more oil than before.

Imo if its not knocking and all is well your good. But consider yourself lucky...also keep a close eye on things.. esp headgaskets signs.

Imo if its not knocking and all is well your good. But consider yourself lucky...also keep a close eye on things.. esp headgaskets signs.

I'm watching everything closer now and will keep an eye out for the T/T signs of H/G problems.

I haven't high boosted it since yet, but did change the coolant and oil the next day after it happened just to be safe.

Drop a GM seal tab or two in the cooling system if you're that worried about it. (or do a leak down test to confirm what did or didn't happen)

I also doubt it got that hot with the cap off. If it all seems fine I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. If it's hurt, you can't undo it. I would change the oil, check plugs, etc.

Peter

I would change the oil, check plugs, etc.

I did that the next day, coolant, and oil, I have the plugs and will put them in tomorrow.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it

I haven't lost sleep, THE ENGINE RUNS LIKE TEN GOOD MEN!!!

I was just wondering how tough these blocks are and wondered if this happened to anyone else and if they had the same results I did.

RZ

If it helps, it's physically impossible for water to be 291 in liquid form without being pressurized.

That's not true. Dissolving things in the water will increase the boiling point as well. So, depending what properties the antifreeze has can effect the boiling temperature. Assuming antifreeze was being used or additives.

D

Then it's a solution. I was just throwing that out there to show it was probably a false reading.

50/50 water/antifreeze boils at 227F without being under pressure.

Back