You can type here any text you want

What is the usual cost of an engine rebuild?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cool87GN

I am currently in need of having my 3.8 motor rebuilt (I spun a bearing) and would like to know what is the going rate on a rebuild of this nature? Are there any good Turbo Buick shops near Columbia, SC? Thank you in advance for the help, :confused:

Reputable Turbo Buick Shops in Metro Detroit, MI?

I am also entertaining the possibility of having my car worked on in the Detroit area. I have Family in that area and my car currently resides there. I'm in the United States Army (I've been deployed) & haven't driven my Grand National in three years and it's killing me! Thank you,

hey Ted did you get back? are you in SC now? Sorry didn't get a chance to get up with you in AK. I'm over here now and what a **** hole mosul is. These people just don't get it and that's all I'll say. been a vey busy week. Enough of that crap hope your doing well and it's a small army so who knows where I'll end up next. I don't want to leave AK though. Well good luck with the build. I sold my car last year and looking to get another one a T this time when I get back. Take it easy
dan

good machine shop knowing LC2's close to you

Don't know about a shop near you that works on our cars but there is a machinist (Billy) in Augusta GA fairly close to you that has done mucho machine work on the LC2. He is top notch and knows his stuff! I too spun a conn rod bearing back in the summer and he set mine up. If you need further contact info for him, PM me and I can share. Good luck and thanks for serving and protecting us and this great country!!

Cool87GN said:
I am currently in need of having my 3.8 motor rebuilt (I spun a bearing) and would like to know what is the going rate on a rebuild of this nature? Are there any good Turbo Buick shops near Columbia, SC? Thank you in advance for the help, :confused:

Loaded question becuase your future driving habits need to be addressed. That going to larger turbo, running high boost, etc.. requires a lot more detail and a lot more money thrown at the build.

Whether your doing your own R&R.. or paying someone to do it.. and then whats usable with what you have.. If the bearing tore out the crank.. then that adds considerably.

If the motor was in good condition, a simple hone.., resize the rods, and crank kit will have you up and running very fast.

If you get the aftermarket pistons, rods, balancing, boring, caps/girdle, etc... that gets expensive really quick.

On the cheaps doing it yourself.. 600-800(crank/bearings/rod resizing/gaskets)

You may get lucky and not have damaged the crank..a simple polish..

On the upper end, having someone go through it and build it professionally... 10K+ is easy. When labor is 50-75 per hour.. it adds up quick.

HTH

as far as a machine shop in detroit michigan area..

www.aggressiveauto.com

i am going to take my motor there if my car doesnt sell... have only heard good things about him as a builder

Don't know about a shop near you that works on our cars but there is a machinist (Billy) in Augusta GA fairly close to you that has done mucho machine work on the LC2. He is top notch and knows his stuff! I too spun a conn rod bearing back in the summer and he set mine up. If you need further contact info for him, PM me and I can share. Good luck and thanks for serving and protecting us and this great country!!

Hey I know him! There is also a whole group on TR guys down there. There is a Truck Mechanic shop (John's Truck Repair, 3118 Mike Padgett Hwy, Augusta, GA 30906 Phone: (706) 798-4148) down there and he has 1 GN, 2hybrid RX7s and a 383 twin turbo Regal sittin inside. Guy is awesome and friendly. Helped me out a bunch when I first bought my GN.

Back