You can type here any text you want

What Oil Do You Recommend?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

flipmo

"Come Correct - Boosted"
Guys, I want to freshen everything up on the car? What oil and recommended weight of oil are you guys using or what oil do you recommend for this motor.

I don't want to just throw any kind of oil in it.

Recommendations Please

flip

With your buildup, I suggest Pennzoil 25w-50 racing oil. I've been getting fantastic results with it. With methanol fuel even. It's a little hard to source though.

I know everyone has their favorite oil, so you will most likely have a flood of choices to choose from.

A friend turned me on to a syn oil that many of my racing buddies are raving about. I haven't tried it yet, because I still need to find out how it handles methanol fuel. But, for gasoline, I understand it's amazing. Some have claimed an idle increase of 200 rpm just from switching to this oil. I'll get the brand for you.

Most go with a good quality full synthetic such as Mobil 1 5W-30. I use Royal Purple because it is still SL. The new SM has no ZDDP in it which provides protection for flat tappet cam engines. With the recent addition of ZDDPlus to the market place, technically you can use any oil, add a $10 bottle of ZDDPlus and have the protection it had back in 87 when SF oil was still available. If you do that, I would recommend Valvoline 5W-30 + a bottle of ZDDPlus. Lots cheaper & probably what I will start doing at the next oil change. Since you have a roller cam, you can probably use any of the racing oils available.

It's Neo oil.

Their website isn't much, but they have a big name following.

I've heard stories that racing teams will sneak this stuff into their engines with a different oil companie's logo on their car.

O.K. thanks guys. My thought process was basically the same and I just needed to make sure I was on track. I had been using Valvoline VR1 20-50 Racing Oil in the Stage 1, so I think I'll stick with it as it never gave me any problems.

Now with more bells and whistles though, I hope I don't have any future problems.

Hey Hey

flip

Several Good Oils Available

Alhough NEO (Thanks, Mr. Wang for the mention) IMO may be at the top,
since the last time I heard anything, was the only full ester available.
Problem is, it's not cheap or most likely at your local parts outlet.
I had excellent luck using it in a vintage road race bike
(at tear down, things looked good enough for me, ran 4 x 8 hr races with no failures).
Royal Purple is also a player and much easier to find.
GM's additive works well when used in anything.

A very important point that has not been brought up yet is methanol compatibility.

I know many out there are now injecting methanol as a combustion coolant. Some of that alcohol does make its way to the crankcase. Hence, the need for an oil that is formulated to handle alcohol contamination. Again, I will bring up Penn 25-50 racing oil. I used to be a raving Valvoline fan since my high school years. Not when alcohol is involved. I found that it does not stand up to alcohol contamination well and you'd better keep an eye on your oil if your using it with methanol injection. Look for signs of cloudiness. If it clouds, CHANGE THE OIL NOW! Even the Valvoline reps will tell you to change the oil very frequently if alcohol is in the picture. That is in a racing situation.

If you're injecting methanol, be very careful about the oil you choose. I recommend using a thicker oil than you would without methanol injection, just for that safety factor in case you don't change the oil in time.

Also, good crankcase ventilation is a very, very, very big must if you expect reasonable mileage from your oil with methanol in the picture.

If using alcohol injection, is there a recommended oil to use in combination with that and a recommend change interval?

If using alcohol injection, is there a recommended oil to use in combination with that and a recommend change interval?

Use an oil that states on its container that it is formulated for use with alcohol. You will usually find that those oils are also compatible for nitro use also.
Some of the Redline and Royal Purple oils state that and the Penn 25-50 states it.
The change interval is going to depend a lot on how much you use the alcohol injection and the state of your crankcase ventilation. I have not been able to come up with a recommended oil change interval. No oil rep is willing to stick his neck out on that question. I can relay what other racers have told me. Change it when it starts to cloud. In a race car that will usually be at the end of a weekend of racing.
My own experience. Before I installed an evac pump on the engine, I would need to change the oil after 4 to 5 runs. Generally, I would push it and just change it after a weekend of racing. After the evac pump was installed, I now can go 3 to 4 meets of racing before having to change the oil. Even then, it doesn't look that bad, but I still change it to be on the safe side.

Some oils just don't get along with alcohol at all. Be careful with your choice.

Use an oil that states on its container that it is formulated for use with alcohol. You will usually find that those oils are also compatible for nitro use also.
Some of the Redline and Royal Purple oils state that and the Penn 25-50 states it.
The change interval is going to depend a lot on how much you use the alcohol injection and the state of your crankcase ventilation. I have not been able to come up with a recommended oil change interval. No oil rep is willing to stick his neck out on that question. I can relay what other racers have told me. Change it when it starts to cloud. In a race car that will usually be at the end of a weekend of racing.
My own experience. Before I installed an evac pump on the engine, I would need to change the oil after 4 to 5 runs. Generally, I would push it and just change it after a weekend of racing. After the evac pump was installed, I now can go 3 to 4 meets of racing before having to change the oil. Even then, it doesn't look that bad, but I still change it to be on the safe side.

Some oils just don't get along with alcohol at all. Be careful with your choice.

I've been using Royal Purple Synthetic SL rated full synthetic oil 5W-30. The container doesn't say anything about alcohol compatibility. As far as clouding goes, when would you check for it as far as warm or cold engine and how obvious would it be? Does it change color, look milky, etc? Also, it may be too soon to know, but what about the compatibility of the new ZDDPlus additive now being marketed for these cars? I wouldn't see why it would be a problem since it simply restores it to SF rating available back in 1988, but feel I should ask anyway.

I've been using Royal Purple Synthetic SL rated full synthetic oil 5W-30. The container doesn't say anything about alcohol compatibility. As far as clouding goes, when would you check for it as far as warm or cold engine and how obvious would it be? Does it change color, look milky, etc? Also, it may be too soon to know, but what about the compatibility of the new ZDDPlus additive now being marketed for these cars? I wouldn't see why it would be a problem since it simply restores it to SF rating available back in 1988, but feel I should ask anyway.

Milky might be a good way to describe it. But I would get used to changing it when you see it cloud and not wait until it went milky. You'll know cloudy when you see it. There is one particular Royal Purple product that I recall reading was compatible with alcohol. I don't remember the weight. The Redline 50 and 60 weight oils are compatible. I've used the 50 and it worked good. Since its a syn it's thinner than a petroleum product. The only thing that keeps me from using syns is the expense. Knowing that you're safer changing the oil constantly with alcohol, it can get pretty expensive with syns.

Valv 5-40 syn or the racing oil, also check out Alisyn oils, hard to find, but one of if not the best oil out there. do a google on Alisyn.

Ron

Back